B'more on Rails Message Board › Be a Better Code Sharing Citizen

Be a Better Code Sharing Citizen

John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
[ note, this is still a little rough, both the title and the hook ]

Yup, that's us. We're the Ruby community. We're nice to each other. We hang out in #rubyonrails and help people we've never met. We spend hours hacking on code. And rather than hoarding it, we put it out there for the world by sharing it on GitHub. But how many of us really go the extra step to make our code easy to use, unobstrusive, and appropriately documented?

In this talk I will cover best practices for writing libraries, sharing them, and working with the community as the library grows. Topics will include:

• Code organization / directory structure -- how and why
  • Planning the public interface
  • RDoc / YARD
  • Jeweler
  • Gemcutter / RubyForge / GitHub -- where, how and why
  • Release Management Strategies (including prereleases)
  • Accepting patches from the community / acknowledging contributors
  • Monitoring community usage (via delicious, twitter, etc.)
  • Communicating with your users (mailing lists, etc.)

A former member
Post #: 1
I think this could be a really good talk. A lot of people fall into maintaining some library and don't know the best practices for how to interact with the community as they maintain a project. How to get others involved. How to help others contribute code and deal with accepting patches.
John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 8
Eery timing on this blog post: http://www.engineyard...­

I'm adding the link mostly as a reminder for myself to review it as I put together this presentation. Probably a worthwhile read regardless.

-John