addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Any wargamers here?

Any wargamers here?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm new here and wondered if anybody here plays historical wargames. I have a small group that meets regularly in my basement, but we'd like to meet some new folks and play some new games too. We generally don't get into the Euro games, although we're open to trying new things as long as there's some relation to history. We're all very experienced gamers in our 30s with a strong interest in all periods of history. We play multi-session games (like GMT's "Here I Stand", which we're finishing tonight in our third session) as well as quick, one-night games (GMT's "Twilight Struggle" is a good example of a quickie that we all like). I'd like to come to your next meeting if anybody there has an interest in historical wargames, and I'm happy to teach new players (and get schooled myself on occasion!). So please let me know if there are any historical wargamers (or anyone who would like to try a traditional wargame) in your group and I'll look forward to meeting everybody at your next get-together.

Adam T.
user 2911924
Norcross, GA
Post #: 2
I would love to get into historical gaming. I was a history major myself in college. Unfortunately I haven't managed to make it to a meeting yet (darned real life!). If I plan on coming I'll let you know
user 2930570
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 24
Hey Matt, I'm also interested in war games. On my shelf I have a copy of EE, only played once. I also bought and played several times solo the ASL Starter Kit #1. Hope to see you there.
A former member
Post #: 3
I also used to play a lot of the Avalon Hill wargames--ASL, Panzer Leader, Third Reich, Blizkrieg, Civil War, Diplomacy, and not-so-war ones like 1830, Civilization, and Merchants of Venus. I've also played Supremacy, and really liked the two-book WWI dogfight game (I forgot the name). I'd love to get a game of Up Front in, as it's easier to teach, but haven't gotten much interest yet. There is an ASL group that meets once a month that I can tell you about, as well. Look for me on the 26th!
A former member
Post #: 2
Cool...I'm glad to see some other grognards here! Unfortunately I can't make the meeting on the 26th...I usually have to work Saturdays, and now that football season is imminent, I have another reason to be busy on Saturdays. I used to play ASL a little (had all the modules through "Code of Bushido") but I sold off everything years ago. I'm getting back into tactical games, though, and have started playing the Advanced Tobruk System (ATS). It's a lot easier than ASL and plays much faster, still has tons of detail and all the maps are historical (not geomorphic), and some of them (esp. the city battles) have oversized hexes to facilitate huge stacks. Anyway, if anybody wants to join my little gang tomorrow night, let me know and I'll give you my contact info. Otherwise, I'll just try and hook up with everybody at the next meeting after the 26th.

Dan H.
Dudley, NC
Post #: 1
Matt, I would be very interested in meeting with your group. Since I moved to Atlanta six years ago, I have mostly played Euro style games of the sort popular at the Loop. I like these, but I do find it frustrating that these folks generally won't play traditional wargames or longer games in general. The Loop group also doesn't meet often enough to satisfy my gaming passion.

I am 46 years old, a long time gaming veteran. I first played Squad Leader and Panzerblitz in college in 1980. However, I should warn you that I am largely burned out on WWII games, I have played far too many over the years and prefer games based on less frequently visited corners of history.

I have been reading online about the GMT style card driven games for years; I haven't bought any yet simply because I don't believe any of my current gamer buddies would play them. I would be happy to play Here I Stand or Twilight Struggle. I was checking out Triumph of Chaos from Clash of Arms Games earlier today, it seems to have a similar system, I wonder if your group has any experience with it.

I have a copy of ADG's 7 Ages that his been sitting on my shelf unplayed for 2 solid years now, I would be ecstatic if I could find a group willing to give 7 Ages a try.