addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Campbell Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Texas Hold 'Em for beginners: making it happen

Texas Hold 'Em for beginners: making it happen

David
user 11150290
Saratoga, CA
Post #: 11
Thank you to the people who supported the notion for this meetup (under the "idea" pull-down menu). Since I'm new around here, I don't know how one gets this sort of thing organized. The site says "Contact the leadership team." OK, does that mean I write to Tiffany, David and Tho? Is there an easier way?

What was described in the December, 2009 meetup, sounds like a good idea (as long as it doesn't take place on Sunday at noon). There should be both a venue for true beginners (who need to learn the basic rules and strategies), and also one for people like me, who know the rules but don't want to spend their evening being eaten alive by the professional barracudas at the Sunnyvale Hold 'Em meetup. In other words, I would enjoy a relaxed game, in which you can actually talk to other people during your evening.

When I played in Sunnyvale, I needed my full concentration on every hand, and I still got my a** thoroughly kicked. It was NOT relaxing; at the end of the evening, I needed a vacation. This is not to say I don't admire the skills of the people there who are really expert at this game; it's just that I'm not one of them, and probably never will be.

So we need a host for this event. It can't be me, unfortunately, because I live in the far reaches of the Santa Cruz Mountains, surrounded by coyotes. Can a host in a reasonable location please step forward and set a date? Thanks.

--David L. (not David the organizer)

Joy B.
JoyButtercup
Campbell, CA
Post #: 56
Hi David,

I have my own boardgame group that David the organizer is in and we have started to play Texas hold' em as well for beginners. My assistant organizer, Mark started teaching classes in Jan. He is done with that but now since I know how to play I will on occasion host low risk, more casual cash games and maybe the occasional tournament style. The buy in will probably be $5 for these beginner/intermediate games. A good chance to practice and enjoy the game. If you want to check it out and join http://www.meetup.com...­

Thanks,
Joy
Rebecca
user 10275044
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
We had the last poker game on a Sunday afternoon because we were using the clubhouse at my condo. It's a great place for games, and even has a poker table, but unfortunately it's very close to the windows of several condo units. We've had a number of complaints from residents about excessively noisy evening events at the clubhouse, as well as events that go past the permitted hours. Right now the clubhouse can be rented until 11 pm but that may be scaled back to 10 pm to address resident complaints, which is another problem because you can't really predict when a poker game will wrap up. (I'm on the HOA board so it would be pretty awkward if anyone complained about one of my events!) Anyway, the clubhouse is not really a great venue for evening events.

Rebecca