A former member
Post #: 2
I started thinking about the numbers on this, so did a bit of math this morning.

A subscription costs $72 for 6 months, and allows one to organize 3 meetings. Our organizer has three, one of which is the same size as this one, and the other half the size. Reasonably then our group's cost is roughly 40% of the $72, or $29 for the 6 months.

Currently the group has 178 members. I'll be conservative and say that only 10% decide to pay and the rest leave or are booted (after all it's hardly fair to let the non-payers come to the group's meetings). Thus the group takes in 18 * $2 = $36 a month, or $216 after 6 months.

That leaves $187 extra every six months just from this meetup along. What happens with the extra money? Who decides?

Ah ha, I just noticed that our organizer's other groups do not have dues, which means, in effect, this group is being asked to subsidize his other groups. Though also means there's less extra money ($144 every 6 months vs $187).

I am definitely not comfortable with this, but am I certainly willing to hear our organizer's thinking behind the dues issue.

Regards,
Cary
Erin F.
user 8301189
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
I swear that when I just joined there wasn't any dues. If there was I wouldn't have joined to be quite honest. I joined because I wanted to find people and make friends that enjoy games as much as I do and having to pay for that just doesn't have much appeal especially as being one of the new people. Now I wouldn't mind giving a donation sometime down the road if I continually go and enjoy it as I'm sure some members would do as well to subsidize the costs of it but I'm really kinda against paying monthly especially if I find that I can't make meetings often or don't connect. One reason I wanted to join this gaming group and not the other one WAS because of the dues. That's just my take on the dues. I'd rather see it more of a donation than a forced thing.
A former member
Post #: 2
Am a bit confused :-( Who is our organizer?
A former member
Post #: 3
Am a bit confused :-( Who is our organizer?

I am, now.

Andy quit with no warning a couple days ago so I bought a subscription and 'rescued' (as Meetup puts it) the group.

-Cary