add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Elma, NY
Post #: 1,668
I thought I'd start a new thread for games that have been recently played. My thoughts are using this thread to talk about games that we not only play on Wednesdays, but also games we've played with family and friends on other nights as well.

This thread could be used to discuss what we liked or disliked about any newer releases or even older or classic titles that we may have not played in awhile. This thread could also be used to clarify rules, mistakes, or instructions that are easily forgotten or simply overlooked. Perhaps it might help those of us on the fence about purchasing a game be more informed or give us a better idea if it might be a game we would like to play or purchase in the future.

Feel free to post any recently played games or mini session reports here smile
Mike S.
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 629
Good idea, Rodney. I like these discussions, and they usually wind up getting lost in the weekly meetup threads.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,669
I managed to play Flashpoint Fire Rescue a couple times this past weekend with family and friends. This is a new co-operative game where players take on the roles of firefighters working together to rescue victims from a burning house.

The rules as written were unclear on certain aspects of game. The rules for the advanced game don't fully describe in enough detail what happens when certain situations occur during the game. To make a long story short, I ended up doing a few things wrong in the games I played this past weekend. Some of the rules I played wrong would've made the game easier, while others might have made it a bit more difficult.

The game to me was ok, but I never really felt the tension like I do in some other co-ops I've played in the past. Maybe it was because I was questioning myself, wondering if I really understood all the rules as they were intended to be played.

I'm hoping to get another chance to play this game this weekend with my family using the advanced rules now that I've got confirmation on certain rules I had questioned in the past. I'm hoping to get more enjoyment out of it next play. We'll see.

Elma, NY
Post #: 1,670
Another game I had a chance to recently play was 1st & Goal. This game was a bit of a surprise for me as it turned out to be more enjoyable than I thought it originally would be.

It's basically a two player football game, but it can be played with three or four if you want to have both a defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator on each side. Otherwise playing two players will force you to take on both roles.

If you enjoy football you'll probably enjoy this game. It uses many of the rules of the NFL and includes turnovers, penalties, field goals, punts, onside kicks, two point conversions, hail mary's, quarterback kneel downs, and just about any other thing you can think of that could happen in a game of football.

The main part of the board is magnetic and uses a magnetic football and first down marker to mark field position. It also uses a unique card and dice system for playing the game. There are two decks of formations, one for the offense and one for the defense.

To play well it would help if you have a basic understanding of football, and better yet both offensive and defensive formations. Calling the right offensive formation against a poorly chosen defensive formation can result in big plays, while choosing just the opposite could result in a sack or loss of yards. And even if you have chosen that perfect play there is always the risk of a turnover or penalty occurring on every down.

To make this game even better they already have expansion dice that add an additional 24 teams. Each team has different strengths and weaknesses that will provide different results based on the strengths and weaknesses of your team. I can see starting a league with this game and playing a full season complete with playoffs and an eventual super bowl winner for hard core players.

If anyone here is a football fan you need to give this a try. If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll find a time to get together to give it a go.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,673
Played German Railways last night. In this game you’re investing in German railroad companies trying to earn money by growing and expanding the networks of companies you’re invested in.

This game is very similar in play to Chicago Express. The unique, or shall I call it strange mechanism that sets this game apart is the way in which turn order is determined. Turn order in this game can be very important and the way turn order is determined is by pulling colored markers blindly out of a bag. The number of markers placed in the bag each round is based on the individual income of each player. The player leading on the income track only gets to place one of his markers in the bag, the player in second gets to place 2, so on and so forth. So you’d think that by being last on the income track in a five player game and having 5 markers in the bag would give you an advantage when markers are pulled wouldn’t you?

Well not necessarily as we found out. The idea behind this mechanic is to give the player in last place a greater chance at going first allowing him to “catch up”. While it sounds good on paper, it simply doesn’t always work out the way you might have intended. This mechanism, while exciting….. waiting, hoping, desperately needing, and wanting your marker to be pulled before a certain player, simply wound up making the game to luck driven. In a 5 player game only 5 markers will be pulled in a single round. There is a good chance you might not even get a turn in a round, or that one player might get several turns in a row if his marker is pulled multiple times.

Don’t get me wrong. I did enjoy the game and I still had fun, but this mechanic for me makes this just an ok game and prevents it from ever becoming a great game. I’d certainly play it again as long as others knew what they are getting themselves into and that luck can play a big part in determining the outcome of the game
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 68
After reflecting on that turn order mechanic I've decided its fun for the middle portion of the game because there's enough mutual interest between players that its not so terrible when colors other than your own appear. However that doesn't make up for how awful it can be in both the beginning and end portions of the game.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,675
I also had a chance to play Summoner Wars for the first time last night as Jeff taught it to me. This is a two player game where players take on the role of a summoner attempting to be the first player to defeat the other summoner.

Since we were both new to the game it probably took us a bit longer than it should have as we had to read all the text on the cards not knowing who all did what. But with a few plays, and having a better knowledge of the cards, I can see this game playing rather quickly.

Each player turn involves 6 mini phases where you draw cards, summon cards in your hand to the board, play event cards, move your cards, attack, and finally build magic. Once you understand the text on the cards in your faction game turns play rather quickly.

On the surface this game appears to be more of a tactical game than a strategic game. Don’t game me wrong there is strategy here, but not really knowing what your opponent has up his sleeves can change your long term plans as you now have new immediate threats and or issues to deal with that you didn’t have before. With experienced players and knowledge of the different factions/cards I can see more of a strategic game plan developing than a tactical one.

I enjoyed my first play of this quite a bit and am looking forward to more plays in the future.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,678
Friday the in-laws came over and we played a few new games I got for Christmas.

We began with a 15 minute filler called a fistful of penguins. This is a light dice game where the object is to earn the most money in just three quick rounds. There are 9 six sided dice in the game. Each side of a die has a different animal. On your turn you roll dice and set aside animals of your choosing trying to create sets that will give you the largest payouts. Each player is also given six plastic penguins that can be spent for rerolling or adding additional dice to your roll. The different animals give different benefits but rolling certain animals may help or hinder your rolls of other animals rolled at the same time. It's a light fun family game that works well as an opener or closer.

After that we gave Flashpoint Fire Rescue another try but this time we played the experienced version. We played the family version last week and won easily. The experienced version has three difficulty levels, recruit, veteran, and heroic. We played the recruit version and once again easily won the game rescuing 7 victims and only losing one. Once again I didn't feel the tension I usually do like when playing other co-ops. Although with that being said, I must admit that we got real lucky with the dice rolls as well as with the placement of victims throughout the course of the game.

We also played Casa Grande and Coney Island. More on these games later.... I've got some work to do now.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,679
Casa Grande is a 2-4 player game where players attempt to develop & construct buildings in order to earn money. Money equals victory points.

Each player begins the game with several plastic foundations and several flat cardboard platforms in various tetris like shaped configurations. The platforms represent the floors of the buildings you are constructing.

Gameplay is fairly straightforward. Roll the die and move your figure around the outside edge of the board. Where you land determines the row or column where you must place one of your foundations. Optionally you can place a platform on top of your foundations (following the legal rules for placement) and earn money based on the size of the platform placed, multiplied times the level the platform is placed at. Simply put, the larger and higher the platform, the more money you earn.

The luck of the die roll can be mitigated by spending bonus points allowing you to move further along the track to land in a position where you'd like to place a platform.

The game quickly turns into an abstract puzzle type of game that plays well with the family or non gamers in under an hour. The components are nice and the hi -rise that is built at games end can be eye catching to passerby's.

The game is ok, I think my family enjoys it more than I do. But if it gets them to table to play games then thats all that matters.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,680
Coney Island is a 2-4 player medium weight game designed by Michael Schacht. Players represent family members attempting to spread their influence in the building and development of the amusement park. Influence is represented by attraction points, and the player with the most attraction points wins.

The games main mechanic relies on resource management to place showmen and build attractions. Gameplay involves two steps per turn. First you'll collect income, then you'll take your actions. 

Each player has his own player board complete with 9 showmen. Removing showmen and placing them on the board reveals icons that increase your income during the income phase. So getting your showmen off your player board an onto the main board results in greater income and more options. However, in typical Michael Schacht fashion, there comes a time when you'll want to get those showmen back off the main board and back onto your player board before the end of the game. Failure to do so will result in a loss of points for each showmen still remaining on the main board. 

Timing is crucial. Placing guys back onto your player board will once again cover up those income icons resulting in fewer options. To get your showmen back off the board you'll need to use them to build attractions which score you victory points. However, sometimes you'll need the help of other players showmen situated next to yours in order to build the attraction you want. Because of this, sometimes its best to try an work with other people in a way that will benefit more players than just yourself. 

This is a good game to play with gamers new to the hobby. It's not too difficult for new players to comprehend, yet it has enough think for experienced gamers to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. I'm looking forward to giving this one another try with the family next weekend.