addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,686
Wow 2 hours and 15 min? This is supposed to be a 60 min game at most. (although I've never played with 5 players) Did someone forget to advance the round marker between turns? Honestly my 1st game went longer than it should've because we played a round or two longer than it was supposed to be played. Most people doesn't realize that you advance the round marker right after you place your boats during setup. I made this mistake the first time I played. Plus I think I forgot to advance the game marker at least once during that 1st play.

10-15 minutes between turns? Ouch... someone was thinking to hard lol. Although my wife did the same thing the first time she played it. That or I wasn't thinking hard enough lol. Hmm, come to think of it, she did win that first game.

I thought the game would be a good gateway game for newbies to introduce them to the bidding mechanic. Much like Ticket to Ride introduces newbies to route building. I thought the game was ok, though I don't know if I want to ever try it with 5 players now.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,948
Its all a numbers game. More players == longer downtime. 10-15 mins between turns is not that unreasonable. With 4 other players, if each player takes 3 minutes for their turn, that's 12 minutes. The issue I have is there is nothing to do with your time in that 10-15 minutes - there is no real way to plan ahead... As for forgetting to move the round marker, I suppose that's possible, but both Midge and I were keep a pretty close eye on it, so that's unlikely.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,949
For what its worth, my recommendation for a gateway bidding game would be For Sale.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,690
Played Flash point again last night using the experienced/recruit level. This level adds 3 hazmat markers and 3 hot spots to the board (with a possibility of 6 more hot spots appearing during the game) increasing the chances that explosions will occur. The experienced game also adds roles to the game as well as a Fire truck and Ambulance.

We easily won once again. The hazmat markers did not affect us at all and the hot spots weren’t an issue until late in the game when we pretty much already had the game won. The power of the roles was enough to offset any of the new threats added to the game.
The next time I play this I’m going to bump it up a notch to the veteran level. This level adds 4 hazmat markers and 6 hot spots to the board at the beginning, with the potential for another 6 appearing during the game. Fire should spread much quicker making it more difficult to achieve victory. And if it doesn’t there is always the heroic level :)

We also played a quick game of A Fistful of Penguins. I’m a terrible teacher because everyone seemed confused at first after my quick explanation of the game. It really is a simple game but I think my lack of attention to the details combined with the player aid made the game sound more difficult than it really is. I’ll let others comment on this game if they like.

Last we had two games of Ora & Labora going on at once. More on this one later…..
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,691
Ora & Labora is the latest creation by Uwe Rosenberg. Players are the head of there own monastery attempting to grow and improve there monastery by gathering resources and building buildings in order to earn points.

Those that have played Le Havre will see similarities in this design. Those that like Le Havre will probably like Ora & Labora as well. Chances are if you don't care for Le Havre then you probably won't care for this title either. On your turn you only have three options you can perform on your turn. The mechanics of what you do on your turn is simple, however your decisions aren't always as easy. Like Le Havre the game begins with few cards and thus few options, but as the game proceeds more and more cards come into play giving you more and more options which can equal tougher decisions when deciding what your best play is given the current conditions and circumstances.

The board is unique in that it is simply a round wheel with a production arm that rotates each round. The arm has numbers on it, and as it rotates it increases the number of resources produced. However selecting a resource resets it back to zero where you'll have to wait before it becomes more valuable again as rounds progress. 

Your ultimate goal is to score points by not only spending resources to build buildings but to also score points for settlements as well as buildings placed adjacent to settlements. The more valuable the buildings next to settlements the more you'll score. Placing cards isn't as easy as it sounds. Sometimes you'll need to clear fields or add to your landscape to create a valuable monastery. 

Like Le Havre, it's a game with simple mechanics but a lot of depth. We played the so called "quick" game with three players and it still took quite a while to complete. Grant it we were all new to the game and play would be quicker for those more familiar with the cards, but the full game has twice as many rounds as the quick game. I cannot see the full game taking any less than three hours with three players and probably even closer to four hours with four players.

I really enjoyed this game. But I also enjoy Le Havre. And in all honesty I think I might even like this one more than Le Havre. I need to get a couple more plays in however before making that official. 
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,693
I got my wife to play the game confusion with me tonight. Confusion is a two player deduction game where the objective is to gain control of a top secret briefcase and carry it to your opponents side of the board.

Each player has 13 spy pieces that they move around the board to capture enemy spies and to gain control of the briefcase. The twist is that each player does not see the movement capabilities of their own pieces, but they can see how their opponents pieces can be moved. Each player deduces the capabilities of their spies as they are moved and records them in their spy notebook. 

The components of this game are top notch. Heavy duty thick chunky Bakelite tiles make this game standout. The tiles show the possible movements and each of the 13 tiles are unique from one another in a different way. The notebooks are large dry erase boards that open like a book to record not only your movements, but your opponents as well. 

Deduction games aren't my favorite genre of games to play. Probably because I'm so terrible at playing them. But I did enjoy this game. In fact it's probably the best deduction game I've played to date. The theme is pasted on, and the deduction game eventually turns into a chess match once you have a bunch of your pieces figured out and you know your opponent has his figured out. But their was a real sense of accomplishment as the game progressed. That's probably one of the reasons why I enjoyed it. I didn't feel like I was beating my head against the wall for the majority of the game like I do when I play other deduction style games. 

This game really surprised me. I bought it for the high quality components not really expecting to like it, and I came away very impressed. However, my wife couldn't stand it lol. Hmm, how could I bribe my wife to play it again tomorrow? Please send your suggestions to me ASAP :)
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,084
tell her you won't buy anymore games for a month and she'll probably go for it tongue

How long did your games last? When I played, each game was about 10 minutes, and usually only involved a few different pieces of each players set. Did you get to use the double agent? I had it used against me once, but never got to try it myself.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,694
tell her you won't buy anymore games for a month and she'll probably go for it tongue

How long did your games last? When I played, each game was about 10 minutes, and usually only involved a few different pieces of each players set. Did you get to use the double agent? I had it used against me once, but never got to try it myself.

Lol you read my mind. That's exactly what I was thinking about saying to her. She wouldn't believe me though.

Our game latest around 45 min. She was a bit confused (no pun intended) at first on the movement differences between the notebooks and pieces when I was explaining the game (her up was my down), so it took her a bit longer to grasp movement and how best to record it. It was more my fault of poorly explaining the rules than anything else.

10 min? That seems awfully quick. I was one space away and had a 50/50 chance of winning? She had two possible pieces that would take the briefcase from me (one of which was the double agent) but of course she chose the other piece to take the briefcase from me and then marched across the other side of the board and won. I think we each captured 4 pieces of each others before the game ended.
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 639
I played confusion twice, it was random and boring to me. Thank you for reminding me, I am adding it to my list of hate.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,695
Had a chance to play some quick games with my Grandmother this weekend.

Flipshot
Castelli
Ab in die Tonne
Space Maze
Santiago de Cuba

I'll post some comments on these titles over the next few days.