The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 810
Full Disclosure: I was sent this game as a review copy.

Rex

ACCESSIBILITY
Medium- Heavy weight strategy game for 3-6 (which is a lie the game is 6p almost exclusively), wide ranging play time (2-5 hrs?).

THEME
6 Factions want to take over a planet by controlling 3 of 5 strongholds, or in a 2p team 4 of 5 strongholds or in a 3p team all 5 strongholds .

COMPONENTS
Game board representing a regions of planet, cardboard tokens for army, ship fleet that blows up spaces, strategy cards, wheels of fun and some other stuff.

ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN
I really liked the art of the game, even though a lot of time I am not too keen on FFG art, the graphic design seems to be functional as well, I like how the wheels of fun work.

RULES
The rules were very clear, I really understood the game after one read through and only made 1 minor rules mistake, which was just an oversight on my part. Though there are a few important erratas included as a half-sheet with the game of mistakes and clarifications to the rulebook, one of which at least is pretty major.

MECHANICS
bidding, area control, negotiation, variable player powers, simultaneous selection combat.

GAME PLAY
Capture enough strongholds as a team or by yourself.

You do this in phases of:
-bidding on special ability cards
-adding influence (money) to random spaces on the board
-buying back dead guys
-moving guys on board
-paying influence to add guys to the board
-then players fight if they are in the same spaces
-collect influence if you are on spaces with influence
-the fleet comes and bombs 1-6 spaces in sequential order
-and do it all over again up to 8 times or until someone wins.

UNIQUENESS
The battle system is great. Players simultaneously devote the amount of strength to sacrifice and special cards to play.

The Variable player powers make each character a totally different experience. Two characters have strength in the amount of (money) they get, two characters are good at battling, three have special victory conditions, the others have unique special abilities of extra cards or access to hidden information.

When an influence card is flipped it can trigger a diplomacy phase, 25 percent chance. This allows players to team up or not, to try to win together by forming alliances. Or it allows players to formally break alliances. Its interesting that players do not know when or even if this alliance phase will occur.

In our particular game we had a diplomacy card show on turn 1 which definitely steered the game a particular direction. The card showed up again on turn 4? which allowed the players with strong board position to team up and win the game.

REPLAYABILTY
The 6 very different roles provides replayability as well as not knowing when those diplomacy cards are going to come up make it replayable as well.

There are also betrayal cards as an optional rule that allow players to win the game solely by themselves if their alliance wins if they have met a secret condition that is listed on their "betrayal card"

GAME EXPERIENCE
Our one play was a very fun game experience, the battles were exciting and the decisions in the game were very interesting, I very much enjoyed playing the turtle role and enjoyed the many different aspects of the game, the bidding, negotiation, diplomacy, tension of the battles, it was just an exciting fun game.

CONCERNS
There were some concerns by some of the players about some of the random elements in the game, specifically the traitor cards. Each player has the potential to have a traitor card for one of the other players, if a player happen to has your card and you happen to play the leader (of 5) matching the card they have they can, have that leader turn traitor on you making you automatically lose the battle, which can be devestating, (especially if it happens more than once) I can see how this could be frustrating.

Length seems very variable our game ended on turn 4 I believe and it was a 3 hr game, if it went the full 8 turns I could see the game easily lasting 5 hrs or so, which could be longer than some players bargain for. Though I do not know how likely an 8 turn game is.

Winning with allies seems significantly easier and more likely than an independent win, I am concerned that it is very unlikely for a player to win on their own, unless it is forced by diplomacy cards not coming up.

This game was designed for 6 players and exactly 6 players, after playing it I am not sure I would want to play the game with fewer.

OVERALL
I really enjoyed this game and look forward to giving it another go.
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 649
What elements make you think Rex requires 6? Dune played best with 6, but was a pretty interesting game with less, so I am wondering what makes this game different in that respect.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 812
What elements make you think Rex requires 6? Dune played best with 6, but was a pretty interesting game with less, so I am wondering what makes this game different in that respect.

Maybe I am exaggerating you certainly could play it with 4 I just don't think it would be as fun and would rather play something else. With 3 or 4 you eliminate one stronghold from the game and can only form 2p alliances.

I think one of the best parts of the game is the diplomacy, negotiation and interaction with the large player count. During each diplomacy phase you have a lot of different options. With 5 I would be worried about a 3 on 2 situation dominating a more open board, with 4 it would seem to lead to a 2 on 2 game and simply come down to who wanted to ally with whom. But I certainly would never play this with 3.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,761
Games played over the past few weeks include....

Pepper
Cleopatra
Takenoko
Pompeii
Eclipse
Kingsburg
Claustrophobia
Bacchus Banquet

I'll eventually post some comments on these games but I was hoping for an additional play on a couple titles before giving my final thoughts. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to at least comment on a couple of these titles.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 674
Taboo: Not bad. Kinda fun. My favorite part is buzzing people out when they use a forbidden word.

Scattergories: Meh. A little multi-player solitaire for a party game. Leads to some stupid arguments. "Is 'peacock' a good answer for 'something that jumps'?"

Pictionary: I had more fun with this than I thought I was going to. The rules are a little vague, but I think we were playing properly. The roll-and-move element sucks. Highlight of the evening was my partner getting me to answer "dehydrated" in an all-play. Now I really want to try Pictionary Man. Anyone?

Uno: Ugh. No decisions. You either have the card or you don't. Of course, this frees up the mind to concentrate on the police scanner. If that's what you're into.

Sorry: Slightly deeper than Pop-o-Matic Trouble. That's not good. Nicholson has some kind of fix, I can't remember what it is.

Farkle: Yikes. For a stupid dice game, the rules aren't very intuitive. I'd like to see the same crew take a crack at King of Tokyo. For the cost of a couple more rules, you get interaction, theme, and fun art.

Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 817
Taboo: Not bad. Kinda fun. My favorite part is buzzing people out when they use a forbidden word.

Scattergories: Meh. A little multi-player solitaire for a party game. Leads to some stupid arguments. "Is 'peacock' a good answer for 'something that jumps'?"

Pictionary: I had more fun with this than I thought I was going to. The rules are a little vague, but I think we were playing properly. The roll-and-move element sucks. Highlight of the evening was my partner getting me to answer "dehydrated" in an all-play. Now I really want to try Pictionary Man. Anyone?

Uno: Ugh. No decisions. You either have the card or you don't. Of course, this frees up the mind to concentrate on the police scanner. If that's what you're into.

Sorry: Slightly deeper than Pop-o-Matic Trouble. That's not good. Nicholson has some kind of fix, I can't remember what it is.

Farkle: Yikes. For a stupid dice game, the rules aren't very intuitive. I'd like to see the same crew take a crack at King of Tokyo. For the cost of a couple more rules, you get interaction, theme, and fun art.

oh no Mike this is what you have been playing recently... crying
Bob T.
user 2281115
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 124
Heyyyyyy, remember the 80's?
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 657
Cargo Noir: Meh. It has an interesting rhythmic play to it, but I played badly all game and almost won, taking 2nd. The game has a huge luck factor. I do like the take on worker placement though. Basically you place a worker with x money. Anyone who wants to place in the same spot must put more money down with you. At the start of your turn you can put more money to overbid the person who came in over you, otherwise you take your worker off. If you made it all the way around to your turn without someone placing a guy where yours is, then you get the stuff in that space. This is the most interesting part of the game and allows for some interesting situations, but overall not enough of the game is altered by your decisions for it to be much more than a last resort game for me.

Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,115
Got to play 23, Core Worlds and Rolling Freight. Has Core Worlds hit the table in our group yet? I'll post descriptions soon.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,776
Yes, I believe Core Worlds was only played once in our group.