The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Game Request Thread

Game Request Thread

Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 491
Just picked up ra Andrew and looking forward to playing it again soon. And no you don't actually have to play Arkham Horror. For me that was maybe my worst gaming experience ever. Granted we were playing with eight players and the person running the game didn't really know what they were doing... But still never again... Never again...

If you think Arkham Horror is bad, try Mansions of Madness!

Hoping someone will run Keyflower in the near future.

I find Arkham Horror to be orders of magnitude more tedious than Mansions of Madness.

It's encouraging that Bunny Bunny Moose Moose didn't make anyone's "worst experience ever" list yet!

I'll have to give some thought to my worst gaming experience... Playing 6 hours of Through the Ages to then have people quit partway through the 3rd Age, and having paid $20 to do it, is the first thing that jumps to mind.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,225
I'll chime in here and say that I think Arkham Horror can be a great co-op experience, but only under certain conditions:

• The number of players must be limited to 3 (or 4 if all 4 players can take their turns quickly).
  • You must play with people who are willing to read the narrative on the cards aloud to the rest of the group. If you have players who just silently read the card and then say "give me a common item" or "I take 2 damage", then people miss out on the flavor of the game.
  • Most importantly, you must have someone running the game that knows it well. If the person running the game has to look up ever monster move symbol or mythos card, its really going to drag the game down.

Arkham Horror can either be a very tense 90 minute experience OR a 6 hour long game of torture. I have played it both ways. If I have learned anything over my years of playing designer games, its that just because a game says it CAN play X number of players, that doesn't mean it SHOULD. Six people CAN fit in my bathtub....doesn't mean I want to see it....

**Edit**
As for my worst experience ever, 2 games jump to mind: the original World of Warcraft game and Conquest of Nerrath. Both games had extreme amounts of downtime and very little decision making to do on the part of the player. Both games also suffered in that the board could change so drastically between every players turn that there was no point in trying to plan ahead. Also with CoN, the only person whose turn really mattered was the player directly to your right, as the game is engineered in such a way that beating up the player to your left makes the most sense. What a terrible, terrible game....

And Bunny Bunny Moose Moose didnt make my list because it was over quickly. If you had forced me to play it for 4 hours, that certainly would have rocketed it to the top of my list. I'm sure there is a game in there somewhere, I just never had a clue what the hell was going on, and it made my arms hurt.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 227
So it sounds like we're going to get in a 6 player game of Arkham Horror in Doug's bathtub.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,226
So it sounds like we're going to get in a 6 player game of Arkham Horror in Doug's bathtub.

Now that's a party, right there!
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 492
As for my worst experience ever, 2 games jump to mind: the original World of Warcraft game and Conquest of Nerrath. Both games had extreme amounts of downtime and very little decision making to do on the part of the player. Both games also suffered in that the board could change so drastically between every players turn that there was no point in trying to plan ahead. Also with CoN, the only person whose turn really mattered was the player directly to your right, as the game is engineered in such a way that beating up the player to your left makes the most sense. What a terrible, terrible game....

I think your problem was you only got to take two turns in Conquest of Nerrath. Had you gotten three turns like I had you would have... uhh... still thought the game was terrible. But you would have had 50% more gameplay experience with which to make that observation!
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 295
I like Conquest of Nerrath, but that's a given with it's similarities to Axis & Allies.
crying
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 806
Both games had extreme amounts of downtime and very little decision making to do on the part of the player.

A seeming contradiction...
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,227
Both games had extreme amounts of downtime and very little decision making to do on the part of the player.

A seeming contradiction...

You would think so, right? In the case of World of Warcraft it was because combat was extremely fiddly and took a very, very long time to resolve. In the case of CoN its just because the game is terrible. I don't remember why the turns took so long. Probably some sort of space/time anomaly. Like Andy said, I only got to take 2 turns the entire game. It just took a long time to process everyone's moves I guess.
Mark A.
Verdelak
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 402

Ha, I love that own both of these games.
Also, I hate them both so very, very much.
Johnpatrick
user 7540224
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 166
I finally got to try X Wing and want a chance to play the full game. If anyone wants to share their fancy minis with me let me know!