The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › December 12th Games

December 12th Games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,509
Soo, looks like Rodney is in need of a game, anyone else looking for a game?
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,928
Don't worry about me, I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it. That's why I didn't sign up for anything. I've been real busy these past couple weeks and I'm not sure when things will ease up.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,510
Don't worry about me, I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it. That's why I didn't sign up for anything. I've been real busy these past couple weeks and I'm not sure when things will ease up.

Ok Rodney
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,929
I definitely wont be attending tonight. I've gotta put brakes and rotors on my truck.

Let me know what you guys think of the new Merchant of Venus versus the original and which version you would prefer to play in the future.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,511
I'm out as well. Don't forget to do the list of license plates for the campus police.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,931
Hmm, Merchant of Venus must of been really bad <g>.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 432
When Ryan was going over the rules for the "new" version (as we discussed, I dislike the word they chose to use for it) I thought it was going to be terrible.

In the end, the new rules worked out ok. I would still play the original if I had to choose, but it wasn't awful (my dice rolling was, but what are you going to do). The new turn limit wasn't as bad as I expected. It added a building tension since everyone 'knew' when the game would end, instead of thinking it was going to end at any second (it also seemed we didn't spend as much time counting up each others' money stacks). The missions were interesting, though I would prefer the demand chips with the old goods production. I didn't miss the factory goods. I didn't miss having different types of ships to buy, yet at the same time wasn't a big fan of the lasers/shields. I would have prefered they did away with those and brought back the energy storms (or whatever they were called). The pilot was an interesting idea, but I could do without it. Oh, and pirates suck (right Jeff?), I want my Immortal Grease back!

There should be a rule that if you roll a total movement of 6 or less two turns in a row, you get to re-roll (it seemed like this happend to everyone except Ryan).

For what it's worth, it turns out you can get through two games of Escape: Curse of the Temple in the time it takes to setup Merchant of Venus.
A former member
Post #: 102
Did it still have the optional or variant rule of the Rhisha (What ever they were called ?)
Aliens that attacked your ships. I'm not sure I was a fan of that rule.

Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 435
Corey,

There aren't aliens that attack your ship, but you can be attacked by space pirates. They are an event (I'm not sure that's the name the game gives, but they act like events from other games). They come up from the equivalent of ? spaces from the original. You draw from a deck. Sometimes things are good, sometimes they are bad. You can get pirates, where you choose to fight them with either lasers, use your shields, or your pilot skill. Different pirates are easier or tougher. They are really bad early in the game (at least the ones we got), and can still goods from your ship.

They are certainly not my favorite part of the updated version, but the games needs something to convince you to pay for shield/laser/pilot upgrades.
A former member
Post #: 103
They are certainly not my favorite part of the updated version, but the games needs something to convince you to pay for shield/laser/pilot upgrades.

OK, sounds like they did away with the Aliens. It was an optional rule in the original game anyway.
I'm on the fence in buying this game.