addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › A bit about myself

A bit about myself

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 1
I didnt realize there was a 250 character limit on the into so I had a small novella written only to notice that I was hundreds of characters over... As I was saying in my into, I have been on a long break from board/card games (since college) and have just recently gone back to playing them. The problem is that none of my friends are really gamers. I have gotten them to play a few light things and for the most part they like stuff like Bang! and Betrayal at House on the Hill. My wife is the same way. She'll play games with me, but she's not really a gamer. Here is a list of the games I have acquired in the last 2 months or so since I picked the hobby back up with any comments I have regarding my experience with them. If you see any you would like me to bring, please let me know.

Bang! and Bang! Dodge City
-- I have played this on a few occasions with 5 and 6 people. Its fairly quick and can be a lot of fun. Dont know how much more playtime it will get with my group, however, as 1 guy refuses to play because he loses all the time.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
-- Have plyed this prolly 6 or 7 times with 4 or 5 people. Despite the fact that the game was released before it appears ANY playtesting was done, as long as nobody is a stickler for rules or is super competitive, this game is a lot of fun.

Bohnanza
-- Havent gotten a chance to play it yet

Carcassonne - Hunters and Gatherers
-- I have only plyed this with my wife. I enjoy it tremendously. I think she just plays it to humor me.

Citadels
-- Havent gotten a chance to play it yet

Doom: The Boardgame
-- Played a small session of this with the wife and another couple. Found out very quickly that this is not a "wife-friendly" game. Wrapped up the session after about 45 minutes, but the other guy I was playing with and myself both agreed that the game has great potential. I would like to try it again.

Dungeoneer: Vault of Fiends
-- Havent gotten a chance to play this yet. I bought it mainly as a game to play with my wife, but every time I have suggested it, she's said it looks too complicated.

Hera & Zeus
-- Havent gotten a chance to play this yet.

HeroScape
-- Played once with the wife. Another game that is not "wife friendly". Seems like it could be a lot of fun, tho.

Hex Hex
-- Played this a bunch with all kinds of different people. ALWAYS requested by anyone who has played it. Its simple, fast fun. Great drinking game.

Memoir '44
-- Played this solo a number of times and once with another person. I like it a lot. Game has great mechanics. Very fun beer and pretzels game.

Mystery of the Abbey

Quest for the Dragonlords

Robo Rally
-- Wife LOVES this game. Anyone else we have ever played it with has disliked it. I enjoy it, but it can be a brain burner for some people.

Settlers of Catan
-- Played twice. My vote is still out on this one. Its fun, but can seem to drag a bit. Maybe playing with gamers would make a difference.

Sword and Skull
-- Havent gotten a chance to play this yet. Bought it for my group of non-gamers as its simple roll and move.

Ticket to Ride
-- Havent played face to face yet, but I love playing online.

I dont know if I can make the next gathering as I think I have tickets to the Lion King that night, but if not, I'll try and gather up the wife (she loves coffee houses) and shuffle on over. I look foreward to meeting you all in the near future.

--Doug