addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › UBCon Details and Games

UBCon Details and Games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 21
New thread for saturday.

How bout the following:

Time: 2:00pm or whenever you can get there

Games: I really think we should bring a pile of our own games. I know we will prolly join a settlers tournament or something, but having our own games is a good idea. I plan on stuffing a duffel bag with the following:

Bang!
Citadels
Bohnanza

^^ All card games and very portable

Ticket To Ride
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Robo Rally (For Don of course) ;P
Mystery of the Abbey

^^ All good games for boardgamers and non-boardgamers alike

If there are other games of mine you would like me to bring, let me know.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 21
Doug,

Joel has to be at UB at 9:00am on Saturday to drop off a laptop for a presentation. I know that April said she wouldn't be able to make it until the afternoon but did you want to meet up ealier thatn 2:00pm?

I'll bring:

Settlers
Carcasonne
Nautilus
Entedecker
Starfarers

Don
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 23
I'll have to talk to Ruth about it. She is prolly going to come for a while (she has plans in the afternoon). I'll see what time she wants to go. I doubt I can be there before noon tho. Don, email me your cell number, or call me and let me know it.

Also, I may bring Doom if I come early as it would most likely be just the 3 of us.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 24
Ok, Dilemma... I dont have room to bring all that I wanted. So far I have the following:

Bohnanza
Citadels
Bang!
Hex Hex
Dungeoneer
^^ All card games and not much of a space issue

Doom
Ticket to Ride
Robo Rally

Now I have space for ONE of the following:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

-OR-

Mystery of the Abbey

Any recommendations??? confused
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 8
Just an FYI on when I'll be around. Looks like I'll be there Friday night and Sunday at some point. So don't look / wait around for me on Saturday as I'm not able to make that day.

Kevin
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 11
I won't get there much before 3:00pm. I'll bring a game or two, but it seems like you guys will have plenty!
A former member
Post #: 4
So, how did it go? Who came? What did you play? Anyone play in any tournaments? Enquiring minds want to know...
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 27
Much fun was had at UBCon. I got there around noon and met up with Don who was already in the flag room playing with his tacklebox full of Settlers stuff. As we were sitting there talking, 2 other guys showed up and wanted to play Settlers. So the 4 of us played a varient of Don's where the tiles begin face down so placement of your cities is kind of a guessing game. Upon revealing the tiles and randomly placing the resource numbers, I could see that Don and I were in trouble. The guy to my left (Chris?) was sitting right on top of 2 gold tiles and the the other guy was sitting right in the middle of pretty much the only wood tiles in the game. Long story short: Don and I battled it out for a key settlement site. I won that battle but lost the war by far. The guy sitting on top of all the wood had all the bargaining chips so he pretty much ran away with the game. Scores were prolly in the range of 10, 7, 6, 5 with me bringring up the rear as I would go 2-3 TURNS without getting a single resource. Don would have done much better but he kept screwing himself by rolling the robber almost every time he picked up the dice. I shudder to think how many resources Don paid to the robber.

As we were finishing the settlers game Joel showed up. After a brief perusal of what was coming up for the 2pm time slot, it was decided that the 3 of us would learn how to play Star Munchkin. Well we were pretty much left to our own devices as the person "teaching" the game was a horrible teacher. We pretty much got the following instructions "Take 2 cards from each pile, read what is on the cards and follow the instructions. Oh, and you only have 2 hands." Fortunatley, the other 4 people we were playing with had played before so the game wasnt a complete loss. The 3 of us were lost for most of the game tho as one of the players would throw down a flurry of cards, gain 3 levels, and not bother explaining what just happened. I thought I was doing fairly well, I was to level 7 of 10 then all of a sudden all the people that had played before were level 9 and blammo 2 guys took a shared win on some creature. They were going to play another game, but by this time April had found us so we decided to all head back to the flag room to play a game ourselves.

We decided that we would give the regular Munchkin a try since April had brought her cards and some beautiful player aids. This time around was a lot more fun because we understood the rules better and just had a grand time screwing each other. I was out to an early lead, but ended up getting a run of curses in a row that devastated me. I went from level 7 with scads of equipment to level 1 with nothing but a little shield. By this time everyone was at 6-7 and Joel had some mighty fine equipment. Poor April was getting by with nothing but a Chicken On Her Head (which I put there). As these guys gained the last few levels, I took the opportunity to use my thief class ability to cherry pick the best items from my opponents. Alas, I was just too far behind to catch up tho. Don, April, and Joel all hit level 9 at the same time so it was only a matter of time before one of them would dispatch a monster and gain that last level to end the game. Amazingly enuff, the game lasted a few more rounds with everybody ganging up on the leader, but eventually Don managed to squish a monster and win the game. Score was like 10, 9, 9, 5 with me bringing up the rear. Much fun although for a while I thought April was going to tear my ears off. Especially after I put a Chicken On Her Head. biggrin

After the Munchkin game April and Don had to leave so I cracked out Ticket to Ride and showed Joel how to play. Joel was somewhat familiar with the game and caught on to the rules very quickly. Unfortunately for him my experience with the game allowed me to take a runaway victory, although had he managed to get the final connection between miami and los angelas the game would have been MUCH closer. Losing those 20 points for an unconnected route really hurt him.

By that time it was almost 8pm so I had to go home and help the wife pack and whatnot so we called it a day. All in all a very fun day.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 23
Nice writeup Doug. It was definitely a good time. Munchkin was a great time and settlers was fun as well. I think space munchkin could be as fun as munchkin now that I understand the rules. I think my problem was that I kept asking for help from the guy running the game and all I got were vague anwers like "I think so" and "you might be right".

My only beef was that the organizers split up the games into three buildings which really ruined the fun. I'm definitely going to wrtie them about that. They may have had space limitations, but then they should have arranged for a space like Alumni Arena or the CFA. I would have loved to see everyone playing in the same area. It would have felt more like a big event.

Anyway, it was still a good time.

Don
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 9
I managed to show up on Friday night and Sunday, sorry to miss out on a fun Saturday. I got in games of Titan, Settlers (6 player), Alhumbra, St. Petersburg and War of the Ring. So it was still a pretty good weekend.

With respect to the locations, from what I heard, SARPA had originally scheduled the convention for the week of April 8-10th and had all the appropriate space reserved. Then UB had an event take place on the weekend of April 8-10th and they bumped SARPA to the April 15th-17th weekend, meshing together available space that they could find so they didn't have to bump any other events that were scheduled already for the 15th-17th weekend. So the locations were out of control of the organizers this year.