April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 15
The experience last weekend at the UB SARPA Con and our brief conversation earlier tonight got me thinking about the possibility of going to other cons. Some Googling and a chat with my friend in Louisville led me to some resources that may be of interest to you...

The Gen Con Indianapolis Show is August 18-21 this year and August 10-13 in 2006.

Closer to home, and also in August (26-28) is the first annual CN Gaming Expo in Toronto. From their history page:

Hobby Star Marketing staked its claim in 1995 with the successful launch of the Canadian National Comic Book Expo. Since then, this event has been branded, "The Canadian National Expo" which now also features:
The Canadian National Comic Book Expo
The Canadian National Anime Expo (CN Anime) since 1998
The Canadian National Science Fiction Expo (SFX) since 1999
The Canadian National Horror Expo (Rue Morgue's Festival of Fear) since 2004
The Canadian National Gaming Expo (GX) new in 2005.

Last year the event drew 27,000 without gamers. I'd seriously consider going to Toronto for this -- anyone interested?

Another one I'm very interested in is the World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA from August 2 - 7 this year. (I see that Kevin attended this event in Baltimore last year and played Settlers.)

The Gaming Conventions and Trade Show Schedule on the Steve Jackson Games website has one of the more comprehensive con listings I found. Quite a few interesting events there.

What do you think?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 30
OoOoOoOO!!! Toronto Gaming thingy!!! That sounds like a lot of fun! I can be all "So, you wanna play a game there, eh? C'mon, dont be a hoser." Seriously, that sounds like a fun road trip. Of all the Cons this would be the one I would be most interested in. Believe it or not, I have never been to Toronto and this would be a great introduction to the city for me. Ruth would prolly be all in for it too. All talk to her about it, but I'm almost 100% sure we'd be up for this event.
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 11
From my personal experiences, if you are looking for conventions which tailor strictly to boardgames with 16-60+ quality gamers per event the below list would be a good ranking. (popular games like Puerto Rico and Settlers can draw 100-150+ players!)

1. The World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA this year, is the premiere convention with 1000-1200+ gamers of all ages. (there are even junior events run for kids under 12) No role-playing, collectible card games, etc... just board games. Around 135 different scheduled events and open gaming available for any other games. Events are tournament style, with a few heats where winners advance to semi-finals then finals or single eliminate types were winners advance. All winners win "Wood" (1st place plaque), with additional plaques for 2nd-6th depending on the amount of players. It runs a week in early August. The website is: WBC

2. Next best and alittle closer would be the Buckeye Game Fest in Columbus, Ohio. It's held on a weekend in early October. Some of the core WBC gamers from the Ohio area run it, so it is similar being all boardgames, though overall attendance is smaller but still high quality gaming. They rent hotel space like the WBC, so you would be able to stay where you play just like at the WBC. (makes that late night gaming easier, just to walk over to ones room and crash...) The website is: Buckeye Game Fest After the WBC they typically start updating it with a schedule of games and such.

3. I'd rank EuroQuest as next up. They are located in Hunt Valley, Maryland where the WBC ran for a number of years prior to this year's Lancaster, PA move. (~6 1/2 - 7 hr drive) This one is run by the core WBC gamers from Maryland in mid-November. The website is: Euro Quest III A 2004 site: Euro Quest II

I wouldn't be able to speak to more than those three. Another one with has more RPGs and such like UBCon but also has some boardgaming is Origins in Columbus, OH. From my interactions with players from the BPA, most other gaming conventions tend cost money per event as they are game company sponsor based and have poorly organized boardgaming and/or a limited amount of players per event to make it less enjoyable. (3-8 player range).
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 12
A 4th one I haven't attended, but is boardgames too is Prezcon. Its alittle further south, but also during winter months. So a trip to warmer weather in late February might be worth more than just the gaming experience. Website is: Prezcon
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 6
I am definitely interested in the CN "Toronto" event. The only possible hangup is that the Monday following the event UB's Fall Semester starts. It should be doable. The World Boardgame Championships in Lancaster is also interesting.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 51
If anyone thinks they might be up for Toronto, let's have a serious conversation about it next week. I'll look into hotels before then to make sure there's still space available, because otherwise we wouldn't need to bother talking about it.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 192
I would like to bump this topic back up to the top as the CN gaming expo is in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there was any interest at all. I talked to Ruth about it a few weeks ago and she said she would be interested in going. Just curious if anyone has researched any hotels/deals/combo packages/etc.

Also I just read up on Euroquest III. This could be a lot of fun. Yes, its in Maryland, but the hotel that it is at is offering a deal of $75/night, AND they are allowing up to 4 people per room. Thats pretty darn cheap (even if you just split the room 2 ways).

I did a little research (yes I'm having a slow day)

Timonium is a suburb of Baltimore (about 20 miles outside of Baltimore)

A quick seach of travelocity shows a round trip ticket from Buffalo to Baltimore (Thurs AM - Sunday PM) to go for as little as $256 per person (all taxes included).

Hotel is $75/night. Figure 2 per room thats another $37.50. $18.75/person if you want to squeeze 4 people per room. For 3 nights thats 112.5/person or $56.25/person for 4 to a room.

Price of admission is $40/person for a 4 day pass (Thurs-Sun).

Total price per person for the trip would be $408.50 ($352.25 for 4 to a room). Only other expenses would be a rental car (or van if we had enuff people) and then food.

Is there any interest in either of these trips? Obviously Euroquest III is a ways off, but if we want to attend the CN convention, we'd better make some plans quick.

**Edit**
Just thought I would make a list of the tournaments that are going to be run. From what I understand these are not as competitive as the WBC ones. I myself dont know how much I would like tournament gaming but I'd like to give it a try.

Carcassonne -- Can Laurie bring home a plaque?
Goa
Medici
Power Grid
Princes of Florence -- Ranked #2 for Scott, but does he have the skills to bring it home?
Puerto Rico -- Joel might finally get to play Puerto Rico again!
Ra
Settlers -- April and Don can duke it out! April has the experience, but Don has the tackle box.
Saint Petersburg
Ticket to Ride -- I can piss Bobbie and my wife off by beating them handily at TTR!

Also plenty of open gaming... And Maryland IS warmer than Buffalo.....

Food for thought...
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 66
Well, I am still up for it... Storm's sister will be here and the two of them will go to the Irish Festival that weekend, so I'm free to go to Toronto.

The cheap hotel has sold out, so it looks like the only thing available is the InterContinental Hotel at $150/night US. I have no problem sharing a room with someone. I have stayed there in the past, and it's really nice. Plus, it's actually connected to the convention center so it's easy to get to the shows.

Let's figure out tomorrow who's in and I'll call.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 125
I can't go, I already have three other committments that weekend!
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 40
Kevin and I can not do the Toronto gaming weekend, we're busy that weekend already.

We can speak from experience for the EuroQuest gaming though. That is by far my favorite gaming con, because they are all my types of games. The hotel is very nice, the con is right in the hotel, and they have a great breakfast buffet. I have EuroQuest on our calendar, especially since it's our anniversary weekend.biggrin We don't normally fly down though, we drive, and it takes about 6-6 1/2 hours, not really that bad if you don't mind car travel.

I can talk more about the con on Thursday if anyone has any questions.