addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › May 24th games

May 24th games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 55
I'm going to wait and see how many people RSVP before I make any requests for this week.

In the meantime I'm going to read up on a few that i've been interested in on BGG.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 57
I know this will most likely mean a split, but I'd definitely like to try Around the World in 80 Days. Perhaps we can do a split game then big game of Bohnanza or Citadels.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 66
I dont see splitting as a bad thing at all. Anyone that didnt get a chance to play Around the Word should definately play this coming week. It was a lot of fun. I'd be more than happy to run another round of Evo or Memoir 44 or Icehouse or whatever to give people a chance to play Around the World. As long as you dont make me play Monopoly or Settlers, i'm a happy camper. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 25
I'm going to go way off the board and request Chinatown, a trading/negotiation game for 3-5. I've had it for some time now and never had the occasion to play it. It routinely fetches $60 on ebay, so I'd like to check it out to see if I want to keep it, sell it or trade it away before someone decides to reprint it.

I agree with Doug's view that splitting into two groups isn't a bad thing. Unless its a game where everyone is involved on every turn, like Bohnanza or Apples to Apples, there can be a lot of down time and dragging. Just my opinion.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 67
Scott, I'd be more than happy to play Chinatown with you. Thats an Alea Big Box is it not? If so, it might be a little in depth for Ruth. Tho she did like Ra. Are there any similarities between the two? If not, she might be better off playing Around the World. With an approx running time of 60 minutes, that'd fit pretty darn well running opposite Around the World. Maybe after that we could all play a game of Bohnanza? If we have 8, however, I say we just have split games all night as Bohnanza will only play 7. Of course we could play Bohnanza as our 1st game as Joel wont be there till 7:30ish. I'll quit rambling now. wink
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 58
I think the split and the big group both work with the right game, but we still need to find games that work for 7 and up. I think the biggest thing that can go wrong with 7 and up games is lag. If you have to wait too long between your turns the whole thing drags. We might also need to find little fill games in case the split games don't end at the same time.

Personally I think Bang!, Bohnanza, and Citadels work fine for 7 and up. However Citadels might drag if people start to strategerize too much. I'd like to see Bucket King with more than four, but I think it only goes to 6.

Fearsome floors didn't work too well for 7 because there were too many markers in play and it became a traffic jam. Also because you only moved one piece at a time everything slowed down as the board was passed around. We should try it again with 5 or less.

There were a few from last week that played 7 peeps that we might want to give a shot this week to see if they work. Like the Bohnanza High Bohn and maybe Franks Zoo. Scott, do you think the Zoo would play well with 7?

Another one that I read about and would like to give a try is hex hex (up to 6). That looked like a light, but fun card game.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 68
I would love to try Bang! with 8 people. There is one Caveat: The 1st person eliminated may be in for some serious downtime. That is really my only gripe with Bang! Although none of the games we have played at the Coffee House have lasted all that long, I have played a hand or 2 of bang that lasted almost an hour. In one instance the 1st guy eliminated watched almost an entire episode of "Amazing Race" while waiting for the round to end. Not to bad if you can sit and watch TV, but having to sit in the coffee house for an hour might get a little boring. I'd still love to try, just wanted to give a fair warning.

Hex Hex is quick to teach and learn. Its fast paced and fun, and can really be cut to any length. Its meant to be played in multiple rounds with rules added on and all that, but it can just as easily be cut off after 4 hands and whomever has the most voice (points) is the winner. Once I have For Sale, that'll be a good filer/sideboard game too. There are also a pile of icehouse games that are filler/sideboard games too.

Yes I'm bored at work today. tongue
A former member
Post #: 26
Scott, I'd be more than happy to play Chinatown with you. Thats an Alea Big Box is it not? If so, it might be a little in depth for Ruth. Tho she did like Ra. Are there any similarities between the two?

It is one of the big boxes. Alea lists Chinatown as having a complexity of 2 out of 10. Ra is listed as a 4. Puerto Rico, a 7. Who knows what that means. Ra is an auction game at heart, and Chinatown is a trading game, so I'd guess it's easier on the whole. I dont think its quite as simple or frenzied as Bohnanza, but I could be wrong. Essentially, there are three kinds of assets to trade: building lots, business tiles and cash, all of which are tradable. You want to trade to try get sets of the same business tiles and adjacent lots so that you can build businesses contiguously, which earns more cash (victory points). It doesnt sound terribly complicated to me, but I guess the idea of trying figure out what each thing is worth for trading might be confusing.
A former member
Post #: 27
Scott, do you think the Zoo would play well with 7?

I do. It's a trick playing game with a very easy goal - get rid of all your cards. People should be able to either play cards or pass in a few seconds, so it should move quickly. The problem with it is that, when you've gone out, you have to wait for everyone else to go out, too. So there's some down time. It's worth trying, imo. The winner is the first to 19 points, but we could agree in advance that, if people arent into it after say three hands, we just change the target to 10 points and move on.

As far as little fillers go, I have a number of little games that take like 15 minutes or so if you want me to bring them.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 69
Chinatown sounds pretty straightforeward. Guess thats something I would let her make the decision on (tho I think she would have a better chance at winning Around the World).

I wouldnt mid playing Frank's Zoo either. That sounds like fun.

As to Don's suggestion that we pick up some 7+ player games, I'm not sure what to suggest. I know Formula De can be played by up to 10 I think, and as long as you limit the amount of time someone has to decide what gear they want to use, the downtime wouldnt be too bad. Other than that the only ones I know of are the party games like Pictionary or team Trivial Pursuit or something like that. And those games dont appeal to me at all. If I never have to play another game of Trivial Pursuit in my life, I could die a happy man.

I suppose we could play Texas Holdem. biggrin