addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › June 1st Games

June 1st Games

April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 29
I'd play both Chinatown and Frank's Zoo again. They were both great. Modern Art looks really cool, but I'm probably not too keen on Message to the Czar. (Though, when Doug showed us the Message to the Czar board, it looked far more interesting than the description at BGG reads.)

Modern Art made me remember that I used to play Masterpiece alot with my old group. Similar theme.

I've never played Pit before, so I'm definitely interested in that too. Wednesdays seem to be quieter at Higher Grounds than Tuesdays, so maybe we could do it without disturbing too many people. The place seems dead when it's been really nice out.

Don, Bobbie and I talked about getting together Thursday next week for Settlers, and I think Don volunteered Joel as well. At this point, that is a go for me but I'm not sure what next week will bring. (Mom is home from Florida and we're about to embark on a major construction project at my house.)

So, there's always the possibility of making Settlers the 2nd or 3rd game (depending on how many we cram in) on Tuesday for half the group if we split up again. We could play Chinatown (Scott, or I could review rules online and lead) opposite Message to the Czar (Doug), then Modern Art (Scott) opposite Settlers (Don/April). Of course, that'd mean I'd miss out on Modern Art... So many games, so little time!

Lastly, you'll always have my vote for Puerto Rico (which I've only played online) and Citadels (which I've only ever played once!).
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 80
Message to the Czar is Bobbie's game, not mine. I havent a clue how to play it. biggrin
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 65
So far we have:

3 Requests for Chinatown (Chinatown here I come)
2 Requests for Frank's Zoo
2 Requests for Message to the Czar
1 Request for Modern Art
2 Requests for Pit (Me and Scott, possibly Doug, if there's enough interest I'll ask for the back tables, hehe)

I'm also up to try Raj and For Sale.

April, I remember masterpiece, I used to play that with my family. The toughest part was to keep your poker face when you got the forgery, man that was tough. Yeah, if thursday settlers doesn't work out we may be able to fit it in Wednesday. If you want to just teach Bobbie the basic I can bring my travel edition for a quick setup.

Don
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 35
Message to the Czar takes two minutes to learn. Very simple, nice mechanic. I have found that most of the time, I don't agree with reviewers of anything (movies, books or games)
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 36
FYI -
1st - thank you doug for the Modern Art game. Yes, Scott, two minutes to learn, no it's not easy.
2nd - I still have Masterpiece and while they both involve bidding and paintings, that is where the similarity ends. You truly have to think and pay attention to play Modern Art and even then it gets confusing.
3rd - while we may never play it, I managed to get a scratch and dent copy of Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. with over 200 little figures. I believe this may be in the doom kind of category and I will have to try it.
4th - ona lighter note, i have a pre-order in for Through the Desert. Those little camels(175 of 'em) and camel riders were just tooo cute!love struck
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 67
4th - ona lighter note, i have a pre-order in for Through the Desert. Those little camels(175 of 'em) and camel riders were just tooo cute!love struck

Bobbie, just looked at Through the Desert on BGG. WOW that's a lot of camels. Should be fun.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 84
Since its Tuesday, its time to revisit the requested games for the week. so far we have:

Chinatown
========
3-5 players
60 minute session time

The group last week said they thought this would be a better game with more than 3 people. My understanding is that for most auction games 4 is the magic number.

Frank's Zoo
========
4-7 players
60 minute session time

I think we all enjoyed this one quite a bit. Maybe start the evening off with an all in of Frank's Zoo?

Message to the Czar
==============
2-5 players
30 minute session time

I dont know much about this one. Dont know if there is a "sweet spot" for number of players or not. If it can be played well by 3 people, maybe we can play this opposite Chinatown?

Modern Art
========
2-5 players
60 minute session time

Seeing as this is another auction game, I'm guessing 4 is the magic number here too. I could be wrong tho as I have never played it.

Pit
==
2-8 players
90 minute session time

I still have my reservations about this one. Even at a back table I can see this getting REAL loud. 7 people all trading at the same time? I've seen Bohnanza get real loud and thats with just one person making a trade at a time. Add in the dinging bell and I dont know that I would be comfortable playing this in the coffee house. I could be very wrong about this, tho. If everyone else is comfortable with it I'll certainly play along.

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-------

So this leaves us with a bit of a problem. What to play opposite Modern Art? Unless everyone decides that Pit is OK to play as the 3rd game, that leaves some people hanging towards the end of the evening. If 5 people wanna play Modern Art, I can shanghai Scott again and play Memoir '44. If we want to split 4 and 3 I can make a few suggestions:

Alhambra -- I'd really like to give this a try.

Attika -- Pronounced Ah-tee-kee (its greek or something)

Mexica -- Played this last Friday with Don and Joel. I thought it was a very cool game. Bit more math than I am used to (damn counting!) but neat mechanics.

Monsters Menace America -- Played this last Friday also. Not exactly a deep game but the theme is super cool and the game is just simple fun.

Any thoughts?
A former member
Post #: 40
I played a game on bsw last night with Kevin and Laurie, and Laurie said she might be able to make it tomorrow, which gives us 8 if she does. So, if we wanted to do an altogether, I'm thinking Pit might be the way to go, since Frank's Zoo only accomodates 7. If the noise is a problem, we can either go with Apples to Apples or Werewolf, or split into groups from the get go.

Splitting 5-3 or 4-4 means we can pretty much play anything. Personally, I think Alhambra is best with 3, and Attika is equally good with 2, 3 or 4. Both are awesome games. I cant speak for the other games you mentioned, but I'd like to try them both sometime.

As far as Modern Art goes, I've only played twice, both times with 4, and it worked great. My guess is that Chinatown will play better with 4 or 5 than it did with 3.

Hmm. So many games. The logistics of planning out games ought to be a game in and of itself...

I'm thinking if we have Chinatown, Frank's Zoo, Message to the Czar, Modern Art, Settlers and maybe one of Doug's new suggestions, that should give the two groups plenty of options to choose from, regardless of whether we split for two or three games. Doug, if you would bring along For Sale, I'll bring Raj and High Society and we'll have a few fillers to choose from too.

Just my thoughts.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 31
Settlers of Catan? Scott said he'd be interested. Bobbie wants to play. Doug will always play. I understand that Joel can be coerced. I'm always in too... Granted, I wanted to play Modern Art. Of course, that leaves Scott in a pickle because Modern Art is his game (which we all wanted to try, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be another time).

I think the problem is that most everyone wanted to play Modern Art, and Scott as the teacher would be required to play. So then, the question is, who's willing to forgo Modern Art and what would you like to do?

Attika, Alhambra and Mexica (in that order) all appeal to me, and Monsters looks fun too. What to do?!?
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 12
Seeing as I was the last one to respond, I will fit in wherever you want. I would like to play Modern Art, but I'd be happy to play anything. As for the new games listed as "fill-ins", count me in for Alhambra. I can bring the game if you need me to, that way we could even have two games of it going at the same time if need be.

I have not played most of the games listed, but if someone is willing to come a little earlier to teach me the game it might save some time during the night.