The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › June 1st Games

June 1st Games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 85
Whole lotta games came out this time! OK... Looks like its gonna be 8 people. I'd like to suggest the following. Its a combo of what April and Scott suggested:

Game 1
=====
Pit
8 players
90 minutes
Scott teaches

All in for a wild round of Pit!!! Everybody wants to play it so lets give it a shot. If we start getting looks, we can switch to Apples to Apples or something.

Game 2a
======
Chinatown
4 or 5 players
60 minutes
April or Scott teaches

April said she would rather play this than Message to the Czar so this would free up Scott to play whichever game he choses.

Game 2b
======
Message to the Czar
3 or 4 players
30 minutes
Bobbie teaches

Obviously 2 games of Message could be played or 1 game of Message and a filler game like Raj or For Sale

Game 3a
======
Modern Art
4 or 5 players
60 minutes
Scott teaches

This appears to be the most popular one this week. I suggest that much like Chinatown we give this one a two week showing.

Game 3b
======
Settlers
3 or 4 players
60 minutes
Don teaches

Bobbie finally gets a chance to play settlers!

Games to bring:

Scott (sorry its so many)
====
Pit
Chinatown
Modern Art
Raj

Bobbie
=====
Apples to Apples (I think it rides in your car anyways)
Message to the Czar

Don
===
Tacklebox o' Settlers

Doug
====
For Sale

Thoughts???

Edit: Laurie, please bring Alhambra if its not a bother. I would like to at least see it and if something falls apart it gives us a backup game.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 38
Okay, now I am totally confused. I suggested Message to the Czar because I thought it would be a good fill in - it takes about 20 - 30 minutes max for a game.

Why are the two I asked for at the same time? Modern Art and Settlers?

I thought Don, April, Joel and myself were meeting on Thursday to play Settlers.
Has something changed and I don't know about it?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 86
Nothing is set in stone, Bobbie. Those were just my suggestions. I was unaware that you guys are playing Settlers tomorrow and I just melded Scott and April's game ideas into one plan I thought might work. I did not go back and read thru everyone's individual wishes. Feel free to disregard my post. I'll let Don puzzle this one out.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 70
Doug, thanks for putting this list together and getting us this far.

Bobbie, We're still on for Thursday settlers so we can wait on that one.

Going throug the posts here's what people have mentioned interested them.

Big game - everyone is in
==================

Pit
---
Don
Doug
Scott
April

1st Split
======

Chinatown
--------------
Don
Joel
Bobbie
Doug
April

Message to the Czar
--------------------------
Bobbie
Scott

2nd Split
======

Modern Art
--------------
Bobbie
Scott
April

Alhambra
------------
Doug
Laurie
Scott

Fillers (lots to choose from )
====

Frank's Zoo (this one is a known winner. I don't think anyhone really disliked it.
---------------
Don
Joel
Bobbie
April

For Sale (This one should be a winner. Fast and fun with some skill involved)
----------
Scott

Raj
----
Scott

High Society
---------------
Scott

Here's Doug's suggestion with a few modifications. I've taken off Settlers since we're playing it on Thursday. I'll still bring the tackle box just in case. I've requested the back table for pit and let Eva know that if we're too loud or if someone complains to just come back and tell us.

Game 1
=====
Pit
8 players
90 minutes
Scott teaches

All in for a wild round of Pit!!! Everybody wants to play it so lets give it a shot. If we start getting looks, we can switch to Apples to Apples or something.

Game 2a
======
Chinatown
4 or 5 players
60 minutes
April or Scott teaches

April said she would rather play this than Message to the Czar so this would free up Scott to play whichever game he choses.

Game 2b
======
Message to the Czar
3 or 4 players
30 minutes
Bobbie teaches

Obviously 2 games of Message could be played or 1 game of Message and a filler game like Raj or For Sale

Game 3a
======
Modern Art
4 or 5 players
60 minutes
Scott teaches

This appears to be the most popular one this week. I suggest that much like Chinatown we give this one a two week showing.

Game 3b
======
Alhambra
2 to 6 players
60 minutes
Laurie teaches (I'll also read the rules in case Laurie doesn't want to teach)

Games to bring:

Scott (sorry its so many)
====
Pit
Chinatown
Modern Art
Raj

Bobbie
=====
Apples to Apples (I think it rides in your car anyways)
Message to the Czar

Don
===
Tacklebox o' Settlers (because it's cool)
Citadels (just in case there's not enough support or Alhambra which was added late)

Doug
====
For Sale

Laurie
=====
Alhambra
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 32
Phew... confusing. The reason I'd suggested Settlers in the first place because I wasn't entirely certain that I would be able to make Thursday night too. However, I've cleared it with "the boss" and it looks like a go... So, whatever we end up doing is fine.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 71
Phew... confusing. The reason I'd suggested Settlers in the first place because I wasn't entirely certain that I would be able to make Thursday night too. However, I've cleared it with "the boss" and it looks like a go... So, whatever we end up doing is fine.

Cool. It'll be nice to play some settlers. We can tell Bobbie that there's no dragon in settlers, but there is a robber, hehe. wink
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 72
Bad news. It doesn't look good for Pit. Scott said his copy has picked up a rather unsavory odor from the basement. Also it turns the version he has is listed for 3 - 7 players. He has an extra deck that he can mix in to cover the extra player, but the smell issue may still be the deciding factor.

Scott, don't kill yourself, if Pit is a no go we can always split and play two other light games before jumping into the burners. We've got Raj, Frank's, For Sale, and High Society all lined up. If people want something heavier there's citadels with the expansion which will support 8 and we can play to 6 or 7 citadels instead of 8 to shorten the play time.
A former member
Post #: 41
Well, it isnt THAT bad. You basically have to put them right under your nose to experience that musty basement smell. I recommend not doing that, by the way. I've already changed some of the extra cards to make enough for the 8th player, so I think that will work fine. It just won't be the aesthically pleasant gaming experience we're accustomed to because some cards will have writing on them.

If it grosses people out, we'll bag it. :-D
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 39
I'll just make sure I am finished eating BEFORE I touch the smelly cards. devilish
My PIT game is also in the basement. I have never noticed an odor, but I don't have time to go home before gaming. I will try to remember to pull mine out for future (they can take up residence in the car, but I don't have an expansion deck. I didn't know there was one. This and Frank's Zoo are going to be filler favs (as long as we don't get thrown out). See you later