addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Game shopping!

Game shopping!

April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 36
Ok, I've nearly resisted buying games since we began meeting in March. After seeing all the posts you folks have written about your purchases, I've started to get the itch.

Last week I received Druidenwalzer in the mail. Since it's OOP, I bought it off BGG from a guy in Belgium. Druidenwalzer is a 2 player game. I thought it was really neat looking and that Storm would like the theme. However, learning the mechanics was confusing and we were tired at the time. Bad first experience for her, we didn't even finish. I went back and re-read the BGG description and realized it'd said "brain burner" - OOOPS! She did agree to try again sometime though.

I've also just bought Dracula off eBay. Another 2 player game. I think Storm will like this one though, as it's a memory/matching game.

I'm not in full blown Doug/Bobbie/Joel/Scott purchasing mode... yet. You must all stop buying games now before I go too far!

So far I've managed to stop myself from actual purchasing, well until the eBay purchase yesterday anyway, with a little comparison shopping. God knows, I love a bargain. I certainly won't shop online without a little research first. Then I realized it wouldn't be fair to not share those results with you. Even though it won't help me if you all keep buying.

(I had to make it an image to preserve formatting. This message board doesn't let you do any HTML formatting.)

To do my research, I picked 3 games. Two of which I'm interested in buying, and one you all have played recently. (I never got to play 80 Days.) I also listed the visible shipping discount for the sites. If I missed your favorite site, let me know, but I think you're all using Thoughthammer.

I also found a neat website that will let you search all of the first 9 sites listed from one interface. See Board Game Search USA.

Have fun!
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 85
That search engine is pretty handy.

Anyone have experience with boardsandbits.com? The 10 flat rate combined with the low prices may beat out thoughthammer in some cases.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 37
Oh, and Scott, you can get $90+ for Chinatown on eBay.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 48
This is an aside with Doug in mind. One of my newest bunch is Hispaniola. Yes Doug, scratch and dent, and yes it has PIRATES!!!!!! Just thought I would mention it :-)
A former member
Post #: 48
Last week I received Druidenwalzer in the mail. Since it's OOP, I bought it off BGG from a guy in Belgium. Druidenwalzer is a 2 player game.

snip

I've also just bought Dracula off eBay. Another 2 player game. I think Storm will like this one though, as it's a memory/matching game.

What about a 2-player game night some time? Just a thought. I suppose it would have to be a week where we have an even number.

Oh, and Scott, you can get $90+ for Chinatown on eBay.

Holy gullibility, Batman.

Anyone else want to play one more game of Chinatown before I sell it to some poor lost soul who thinks a complete set of Alea games will fill that emptiness in his or her being?

PS - Thanks for the search engine!
A former member
Post #: 50
Hey April, on re-reading your post and using my deductive reasoning superpowers, I inferred you're interested in getting Louis XIV. I just got a copy if you want to try it before you buy it. (Actually, I'm getting it for father's day. Shhh! Don't tell me. It's a secret!)
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 51
I would like a go at Chinatown before you sell it for big bucks. THat's what collecting is all about.
And Doug - I forgot to mention that I have enough pieces to PIRATES, THE SPANISH MAIN so we can all play, but if you want your own bits, they come in a trading card package for $3.99 at MediaPlay on the trading card rack. Just thought I would mention it.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 97
Bobbie, you just like spanking me around in pirate games, I know it... wink

I have looked into that on BGG, however, and the consensus seems to be that a) It would cost a lot of money to have all the bits you need for a meaty game. b) The bits are a whole lot better than the game itself. That being said, I would still be willing to play it with one caveat: We have to play it on the table, not the floor. I'm not THAT big of a geek.......
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 53
sweetie. if we played anything on the floor, you guys would have to provide a hoist to get me up!!!!
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 22
If anyone is placing a ThoughtHammer order, Memoir '44 is currently 35% off, so if you need more games to get to the free shipping amount, let me know as I am considering purchasing Memoir '44 after playing it yesterday.

Thanks,
Kevin