The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Game lengths?

Game lengths?

Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 31
Most of the games were have been playing take around 30-90 minutes. Is there any interest for trying longer games? Say games which take 3-4 hours? As I won't list any longer games unless there is interest.
A former member
Post #: 59
I would have some interest in that, depending on the game. I remember you mentioned War of the Ring and Queen's Gambit. I'd like to try those sometime. I'm not much for wargames or the old style AH games (though Kremlin and Kingmaker are two of my favs - I dont recall either of those taking that long though; of course we played simple combat rules in Kingmaker so maybe that was a difference).

Anyway, I could see playing a really long game once in a while. Were there others specifcally you were thinking of?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 131
I am not at all scared off by a 3-4 hour game. That being said, I would have to know what games you are talking about. I think I would enjoy a long game of Twilight Imperium 3, the same cannot be said for War of the Rings. I dont think I am much of a wargamer, altho I am unsure as I dont have much experience with it. I think I'm gonna have to go with Scott here and ask what games you were interested in bringing to the table.

As an aside, depending on the number of people who play, I think Arkham Horror could easily run in the 2-3 hour range (especially the 1st time out). The same might be said for Shadows Over Camelot.

Wow, I said "I Think" a lot in this post.

I think I will end my post now.
A former member
Post #: 61
I think Arkham Horror could easily run in the 2-3 hour range (especially the 1st time out).

Arkham Horror! I keep forgetting it's almost here.

This is one tht I think is worth spending a few hours on. Or we coud do ald T dio skaalq ....

inddl laijd

CAA NAAM CTHULHU!!!

sdjao oapd a sdsd

dknt knaw whether Shadows Ovar Camelot would run that long. But, I guess we'll soon find out!

(credit)
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 80
Well, if we decide on Twilight Imperium, I also have 3rd edition so it could be one of our 2 table trials. I guess I should clarify. Once I played, or I should say tried to play 1776 (AH Bookshelf) in the 70's. I hated it. I have not tried any since. My reason for not wanting to play Memoir '44 is from that old experience.
As you guys know, patience is not one of my virtures(as I keep harassing the hell out April as she very methodically moves forward), I'm more a "shoot out at the okay corral". But I am always willing to try anything once and I did buy Twilight because it had good bits sooooo I would be in.shock
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 125
It all depends on the game. Twilight Imperium, War fo the Rings, Arkham Horror, Shadows over Chamelot, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I'm not much of a war gamer normally but with the right theme I'll definitely venture.

Working them into a normal game night may prove tricky but I think it could be done. Especially because the people in the group are flexible for the most part so even if half the group is tied up with an all night game the other half will still have a good time playing other stuff.
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 32
Here would be some games I was thinking of that could stretch into 2-4 hrs depending on the amount of players and how the games go. They aren't really "wargames" per-se, other than the 2 player ones and those are lighter style "wargames":

Ameoba Wars (6 max)
Euphrat & Tigris (4 max)
Fast Food Franchise (5 max)
Gangsters (4 max, could squeeze in 5)
Iron Dragon (crayon rails, 6 max)
La Citta (5 max?)
Merchant of Venus (play to $2000 or $2500, 6 max)
Mr. President (4 optimal)
Outpost (6 max?)
Wizards Quest (4 max)

Queen's Gambit (2 player, heavy on the theme)
War of the Ring (2 player, heavy on the theme)

For a handful of more heavier "wargame" types, which could push the 5 hours we have and are more complex and/or slower paced. ( Not Laurie's type of games. )

Britannia (4 optimal)
History of the World (AH version, with bidding variant, 6 max)
Kings & Things (4 optimal)
Titan (6 max, can play as 2 player, though werewolf-ish since players get knocked out of the game as it is played)
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 134
Of those that you posted, the three that I would be most interested in trying are:

1) Merchants of Venus
2) Gangsters
3) Iron Dragon

the 1st 2 sound like they are just dripping with theme, and as for ID I have always wanted to try a crayon railroad game.
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 33
I am willing to try a longer game. I have played war games actually and I enjoyed them, with that said I was alot younger. I agree with Doug Gangster and Mr. President look interesting from the play and theme standpoint.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 47
Another longer game would be Talisman. I have the 3rd ed. with the City and Dungeon expansions. That could easily take 2 hours or more depending on how many play. It's a 2 to 8 player game.