addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › July 13th games

July 13th games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 137
Alright, lets try the same thing as last week. Everyone put up 2 - 4 game nominations through Saturday and then from Sunday on we'll vote on that list.

I'll get things started.

nomination
--------------
1. Plunder - Arrr, now that we understand the rules I want to play it for real
2. Mille Bornes - I still haven't got my Creve fix
3. Arkham Horror - may need a special night
4. Shadows over Camelot - Ditto
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 89
I won't add my 2 cents this week since I don't know if I'll be there until Thursday. - but yea, Plunder with the right rules would be worth a second try. Did you find the money pouches?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 145
Since it looks like it might be a smaller group this week (You guys didnt have to do that, but thanks) this might be the perfect time to do a run of Arkham Horror. I have read the rules thru twice and will do so at least once more before I try and play a session. The thing is it has a lot of rules, but as long as one person knows them pretty well, the others can pick up on them as the game progresses. Example: The monster movement is a little fiddly. Depending on what Mythos Card is drawn at the end of a turn, certain monsters will move a certain way. Some fly, some run fast, some shamble along, some are stationary. Its not necessary for everyone to know that a monster with a red border that has a sunburst in a white square will run 2 spaces along the white path if a sunburst is drawn on the Mythos Card. As long as -I- know that we can play the game. Now the game lists 1-8 players. After doing some reading it seems 4 or 5 is the sweet spot (3 or less is too hard, 6 or more is too easy). I would guess the playing time (depending on the number of people) the 1st time thru will be approximately 2-3 hours. This would leave time for another game at least. Anyways, my nominations:

Arkham Horror
Bang! (If we get 6+ people)
Gloom

And of course I am always up for a game of Memoir 44.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 146
Also, Plunder would be fine too, but we have to have been doing something wrong. The way we were playing it you were completely at the mercy of the person to your right. If they played a ship on you it was super easy to beat. If they didnt play a ship on you...well...you couldnt really do anything but sail around. I was doing terrible till Eddie Spaghetti decided to throw me a bone and play a ship on me, then BAM! I was back in the game. To me that doesnt seem to make much sense. What if nobody played a ship on each other? That seems to be the best strategy to keep yer opponents from winning. Also, we must have been off on our combat too. Every ship we played was super easy to beat. When I played a Frigate on Nick I thought it would give him trouble. Newp, he jus layed down 2 (not even large) cards and WHAMMO! new ship for Nick. So please tell me we were in error. If not that is the most broken-ass game I have ever played. biggrin
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 92
Oh you said that about Dread Pirate....
and we were playing it wrong
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 147
I still maintain that Dread Pirate IS a broken-ass game...wink
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 139
Also, Plunder would be fine too, but we have to have been doing something wrong. The way we were playing it you were completely at the mercy of the person to your right. If they played a ship on you it was super easy to beat. If they didnt play a ship on you...well...you couldnt really do anything but sail around. I was doing terrible till Eddie Spaghetti decided to throw me a bone and play a ship on me, then BAM! I was back in the game. To me that doesnt seem to make much sense. What if nobody played a ship on each other? That seems to be the best strategy to keep yer opponents from winning. Also, we must have been off on our combat too. Every ship we played was super easy to beat. When I played a Frigate on Nick I thought it would give him trouble. Newp, he jus layed down 2 (not even large) cards and WHAMMO! new ship for Nick. So please tell me we were in error. If not that is the most broken-ass game I have ever played. biggrin

Yes, I was mistaken about that, you actually can encounter a ship played from your hand if the ship has the "ACT" property and your location meets the other requirements on the card (usually Open Sea or Coastline) you can encounter the ship. I just assumed the ship cards <> ACT cards. My bad.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 148
Oh, I wasnt placing blame, I sincerely was hoping we had something messed up.I read thru the Plunder rules online before the game was released. They could have used a few more revisions methinks.....
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 140
Oh, I wasnt placing blame, I sincerely was hoping we had something messed up.I read thru the Plunder rules online before the game was released. They could have used a few more revisions methinks.....

Yeah, I know you weren't placing blame. I was just putting it out there so you knew that yes you can set yourself up with a ship to kill if you want.

Here's the addition they should make to the beginning of the rules as a general guideline.

1. read the rules
2. read at all the cards and look for anything that doesn't make sense based on the rules
3. go back to the rules for clarification
4. then go to BGG and look for additional clarification
5. if all else fails, just make shit up

This still of course won't explain what happens if you attack and destroy a port, LOL.

Ah well. It looks like it could be a fun game once we get averything in places rules-wise.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 93
ummm, since you guys are BGG savvy, maybe you could post the question about the pot and maybe someone will answer us before Thursday.
MY CAMELS ARE ADORABLE! But they can never go to Scott's house. Right on the bos is a warning for those 3 and under. They look like camel shaped after dinner mints!
I did paint the palm trees last night before I fell asleep!
Looks like a good, relatively simple game. Lots of strategy!!