addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Thursday, August 11th

Thursday, August 11th

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 176
Ruth is going to be out of town again for most of next week. I would like to do a Thursday night thing (so I'm not bored off my rocker). It would be like the last few in that it would be shorter. The games I would like to try would be one of the following:

Ice House (Ice Towers and Ice House) -- 4 Players

Dungeoneer -- 4 Players

Betrayal at House on the Hill -- 6 Players

or we can always run another round of Arkham Horror with some variants to beef it up. -- 4 Players

Anyone else interested/has a preference for the above games?
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 37
I'm not available tomorrow, but starting next week I could do a Thursday night game. I'm very interested in learning Ice House games.

Also, I'm just putting the finishing touches on that dark blue denimish bag for your Ice House pieces. I'm hoping to bring that tonight for you.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 177
Yaaay!!! Another Icehouse taker!!! Mua Mua Muahahahahah!!! I will assimilate you all!!!

bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 113
Oh Brother!
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 44
I am down for a Thursday night session.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 179
So far we have:

Me
Laurie
Joel

I know April said she was interested in learning some Icehouse games. Laurie got a taste of Ice Towers on Wednesday night and seemed to enjoy it. Ice Towers is extremely easy to learn -- It only has 3 rules. Icehouse on the other hand is not nearly as easy to learn --it has an actual rulebook instead of rules printed on a standard sized playing card. However, Icehouse involes a lot more strategy and includes elements of diplomacy. Sometimes it may be necessary to form a temporary alliance to slow down someone who is running away with the game. The rules to Icehouse are a bit fiddly, so dont expect to master them all at once, there are a number of things to remember and since this is a real time game it might seem a bit overwhelming at 1st. After a few plays I think it'll become like second nature (it aint brain surgery). Don't worry about reading those rules and trying to make sense of them (unless you want to). I think I have a good handle on them and can teach anyone interested. That plus I have the handy .pdf player aid printed up on cardstock. wink

According to the online stuff I have read, both Ice Towers and Icehouse has a sweetspot of 4 people (even tho technically there is no upper limit). I have 9 different colored set of icehouse pieces, so if more than 4 want to show up, thats fine. We can split and do 3 on 3 or whatever.

I would also be more than willing to run a couple rounds of Zendo. Its a very fun inductive logic game. If you ever enjoyed the old Mastermind game or anything of the sort, this game is for you. Both Scott and I love it. Isaac plays it but just so he can build with the pyramids. wink

Anyways, I'll quit blathering about Icehouse now.
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 38

I would also be more than willing to run a couple rounds of Zendo. Its a very fun inductive logic game.

I would like to try Zendo as well, hopefully we'll have time for everything. Are any other games going to be played as well, or just the Ice games and maybe Zendo?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 182
We can play other games too Laurie. The Icehouse games dont take all that long. I suspect the Icehouse games wont last any longer than the Ice Towers games. Zendo is more variable depending on how quickly people pick up on the rule the master is trying to teach you. Time for each round is pretty much directly tied to the difficulty of the rule. i.e. "The Koan must contain a red piece" rule is gonna get figured out more quickly than "The Koan must contain an odd number of upright, ungrounded green pieces". In general, however, the off-nite game nights dont run past 9:30-10pm. This might be a good night to try out some of those 2 player games you guys have been trying to bust out tho. I only request that we start off with Icehouse as I really would like to introduce it to people. I think these games have a lot of potential.
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 61
Well, Storm is back as of Saturday so I'm not sure I'll be good for two nights of gaming. I'll know more as the week progresses, so for now count me as tentative.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 120
i am in for thursday since i have no gaming friday!