The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › August 31st Games

August 31st Games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 183
Ben brought up a good point yesterday about choosing a game of the month but I'll start a seperate discussion for that. In the meantime let's do our normal nominations and voting. However, I'd like to ask everyone to mark the nominations that they are able and willing to teach. The past couple weeks have worked out that all the top games were ones that only Scott could teach. Although this does confirm Scott's excellent taste in games and amazing generosity (butter butter butter) it would be nice to give him a break if possible. I know not everyone is comfortable teaching which is understandable and I'm not making it a requirement. I also don't expect people to run out and read the rules of a game that they don't own unless they're willing. So if you have a game you'd like to introduce to the group go ahead and post it. If you've already been posting your games and they just haven't gotten the votes, keep trying. Chances are they'll get to the table sooner or later.

Alright, time to end this monologue and start the nominations.

nominations
----------------
Alhambra (willing to teach)
Starfarers of Catan (willing to teach) - bust out the falic symbols (anyone who has seen this game will understand)
Bang! with Dodge city (willing to teach) - Everytime Doug brings this one I'm curious what Dodge city adds to the mix
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 217
Don-

Dodge City adds a slew of new gunfighters, some new cards (like Dodge! and Punch), and new one-time-use equipment (Boiler Plate, Howitzer). It also allows for up to 8 players.

For my nominations, I will nominate 3 games from my collection that I would be willing to teach:

Evo
Mexica
Zendo
A former member
Post #: 92
fwiw, I most definitely do not mind teaching games at all.

My nominations

Tower of Babel (can teach)
El Grande (can teach)
Too Many Cooks
Ben
hakthir
Portland, OR
Post #: 23
I am once again going to pass on my nominations. I am don't have a lot of games that I would like to nominate and I like alot of them that have already been nominated so to keep from watering down the soup too much I will just wait and vote on the ones already nominated.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 186
The voting for next week is a perfect example of why we need the game of the month idea.
4 of us have voted. 2 of us voted for the same thing with 1 exception. We still have 10 games up already.

Bobbie, this is actually what I was looking for. The first part of the week is for nominating game "candidates" so everyone should be submitting a unique list. The idea is to create a relatively small pool of "candidates" and then vote from this list in the second half of the week. The list of "candidates" have been somwhere between 15 and 20 games each week which gives us variety and still keeps the list small enough so that there is usually a general concensus reached. I started this because one week 41 different games got votes and most of them only had one vote. :(

And after that I intend to hold the world ransom with my giant "laser" for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 143
Nominations for next Week

Through the Desert (simple)(I will teach)

Fearsome Floors (simple)(I will teach .. duh)

Amazonas (medium) (I will teach)
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 188
Ok everyone looks like a shorter list this but still a good one. I hope the teaching/non-teaching didn't scare anyone off from putting up nominations. Everyone should feel free to nominate games. I was just looking to not only get game nominations but also find out if ther person had experience with the game so that they could teach it even if they didn't own it. Anyway here's the list so votae away.

Alhambra
Starfarers of Catan (actually not very catan-like)
Bang! with Dodge city
Evo
Mexica
Zendo
Tower of Babel
El Grande
Too Many Cooks
Through the Desert
Fearsome Floors
Amazonas

Here are my votes:

1st pref
-----------
Amazonas
Tower of Babel
Evo

2nd Pref
-----------
Mexica
Bang! w/Dodge city
El Grande

3rd pref
----------
Starfarers
Alhambra
Through the Desert
Ben
hakthir
Portland, OR
Post #: 25
Even from a short list narrowing it down to just 9 is still hard for me, but I'll give it a shot.

1st
===
Mexica
Through the Desert
Bang! with Dodge city

2nd
===
Zendo
Too Many Cooks
Alhambra

3rd
===
Starfarers of Catan
El Grande
Evo

And of Course if we can fit in a round of werewolf or two I won't complain.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 225
My votes:

1st Pref
======
1) Evo
2) Zendo
3) Bang! w/ Dodge City

2nd Pref
======
1) Mexica
2) Too Many Cooks
3) Fearsome Floors

3rd Pref
======
1) Tower Of Babel
2) El Grande
3) Through the Desert
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 145
1st
------------------------
Through the Desert
Fearsome Floors
Starfarers of Catan (actually not very catan-like)

2nd
-------------------------
Amazonas
Tower of Babel
Alhambra

3rd
---------------------------
Bang! with Dodge city
Evo