The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › A quick question

A quick question

Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 16
I am seriously considering starting a game store, probably in december. I would of course offer a large board game selection, and be able to order pretty much anything in print. My focus would be on providing a large play area, and cheap snacks and drinks (relatively cheap anyway). I also have a lot of discount and store credit ideas which will often have me selling below retail, but not necessarily lower than you can get on the internet (hopefully not significantly higher). My question is two-fold, would you guys be interested in using such a site for the weekly meet-ups, and would you be willing the spend the (hopefully small) amount more for games to buy from me in order to make it worthwhile for me?

I obviously don't need instantaneous anwers, but mull it over and put up your thoughts, or e-mail me at grizzlyisaac@hotmail.com

Isaac
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 161
Well, speaking for myself, there is nothing like the instant gratification of being able to decide on a game and have it in your hand NOW. I made 14 calls around this area trying to locate a copy of Alhambra and finally had to borrow Don's.

As for change of location, I would be willing to do that with a small proviso. I work until 5:30. I can't get somewhere before 6. If you are located somewhere where I can a) get dinner and eat it next door to your shop or b) you wouldn't be opposed to my picking up dinner and eating in your shop before we start.

Other than that, do you want me to just sign my paycheck over to you now.... you will have to share with Pine Grove Quilt workshop. wink
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 17
I have a couple of sites in mind, neither is directly next to a resturaunt, but I have never had a problem with gamers bringing food to a shop. The only problem I have ever seen with this is when it takes up significant gaming room, and since I don't plan on opening a store with less than an 8 table capacity, that problem becomes moot.

Isaac
Ben
hakthir
Portland, OR
Post #: 28
I am of the mind set that I would rather pay more (even a lot more) at a local shop , and then from a specialty store rather than a chain, for items if at all possible rather than order them from some site on the internet. I guess it comes from owning a local business for 8 years and helping all those people that went with a mail order business to get computers and then couldn't get decent support for, where if they had bought it from a local seller (small shop) seller they would have paid more but would have had some one local to help them out when they needed it.

So I would try to support any local shop that sells games. My business is there for any shop to lose. I don't plan on buying a lot of games annually but I do hope to buy locally.

When I head to Rochester to play Pirates it is in a large shop that has at least a dozen tables. They allow outside food. I was sitting there drooling with the smells of both Papa Johns pizza and Buffalo Wild Wings wings filling the air from other groups (one there painting miniatures, and the other playing an RPG).

I would be open to a change in location as long as we're not talking the south side of buffalo, that is just a little to far with the current prices of gas.
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 47
What areas are you looking at for locations? We don't buy too many games during the year, but we would check out your store before shopping online since we know you and you're local. I have the same philosophy with my little neighborhood book store. I'd rather they get my money than the big Barnes & Nobles of the world.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 203
I can't say that I'm buying a lot of games but I would of course support your store.

As far as the group playing there it all depends on the location. Still, I know that we would consider it wherever you setup shop if only to have a larger choice of food and drinks even if we had to bring our own. I think the one thing that most of us agree on about the coffeehouse is that they have good deserts, so-so food, and expensive drinks. Still it's hard to find a nice place that will let us take up several tables for several hours so it's hard to complain too much.
A former member
Post #: 1
Great idea. Buffalo needs a place like that. I am sure you did a marketing study to make sure you would get enought business. We would hate to see you loose money on this proposition.
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 53
Personally I don't buy many games anymore, so the internet is the easiest and cheapest option for me. As for the coffee shop, I have no issues with it, like the open spaces and food available right on site, so am not looking for alternate locations per se.