Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 511
I'll be answering these questions a few at a time so bear with me.

Q: What kind of games do we play?

A: The group usually plays "euro" games. So what are euro games you ask? It's difficult to define exactly what are euro game is but these are some of the characteristics of euro games in general. They rarely take more than 90 minutes to play. The rules are usually simple to learn and teach. There is rarely any player elimination involved. The play usually moves fast so that there is very little downtime between turns. Luck is almost always part of the game, but it's usually a small part. The best euro games present the players with lots of interesting choices and from the choices you can plan your strategy. Besides that the games usually have very unique and creative designs and themes which add to the fun. If you're wondering if you'd like these euro games I encourage you to come to one of our events and give them a try.

Q: How much does it cost to play?

A: There is no mandatory fee for the group at the present time. Our only expense is the space we rent on meetup.com. So come out for a couple events and see if you like the group. If you have a good time and plan on becoming a regular then please consider buying the group a month on the meetup site. Right now it's only about $12/month.

Q: When should I RSVP by?

A: The sooner the better. The RSVPs help us plan out how many games we need for an event. If the head count goes way beyond the games we have planned we usually will start a new game to make sure that everyone will have something to play. If you're not 100% sure that you can make it then just submit a maybe RSVP and change it later.

Q: Why do I need to pick a game ahead of time?

A: Actually you don't need to pick games ahead of time. However if you decide to not pick any games then just be ready for anything on game night. Chances are other members will have picked the games they want to play ahead of time and you'll be hopping in on a free seat. I would say that so long as your the kind of person that doesn't mind learning new games and enjoys just about everything we play then this should work fine for you. If you have a particular taste in games then you better off trying to setup your what you want to play on the message boards.

Q: Why would anyone want to pick games ahead of time?

A: There are a lot of reasons why members like to plan games. Some people are just planners by nature. Some people have a particular game they want to play. Some people have games or types of games that they want to avoid and so by planning their games they can make sure they don't get stuck playing something that they're not interested in. Some people don't like choosing games on the fly because they're not comfortable speaking up in a crowd. For me as the organizer I like to know that they'll be enough games to accommodate all the RSVPs. So it's not an obvious answer but if you add all that up it makes sense to at least give everyone the opportunity to plan games.

Q:How does the signup thread work?

A:Each week we'll start a new thread on the message board with the date of the meetup in the title. In that thread the first post will list the games that are planned for the week. We use the terms "slot one" and "slot two" to refer to when the game will be played. Slot one games are always played right at the start of the meetup. Slot two is played after the slot one games are completed, but not at any specific time. So if you sign up for a slot one and slot two game, you'll play the slot one game right when you arrive at around 6:45ish, and the slot two usually about two hours later. Last but not least, game signup takes place at 6:30pm Monday night!! and no sooner. So if all you'd like to do if sign up for a game then hop on 6:30pm Monday night.

Q:What else is the signup thread used for?

A:In this thread you can suggest games that you'd like to play and see if anyone will run them. You can also post a game that you'd be willing to run and find out if people would be interested in playing it.

Q: How do I get to the Student Union on UB North Campus?

A: To start with here's a campus map. On the map it is number 28, to the left of Lake LaSalle. It's easiest if you take Audubon Parkway to Lee Road. Lee Road is easy to find because its on the Roundabout.

Q: Where can I park on UB North Campus that's near to the Student Union?

A: Parking is allowed in any lot after 3pm. As always avoid parking in any specially marked spot (state vehicles only, service vehicles, etc). The closest lot is the Furnas Lot (see campus map). If Furnas is full, park in the book store lot or Jarvis parking lot.

Q: How do you get to the third floor of the student union?

A: Only one part of the Student Union has a third floor so it can be very confusing. If you enter through the main entrance near Furnas lot make a left at the "Student Union Info" desk. Then look up for the sign that points to "Elevator to the 2nd and 3rd floor". Go under the sign and you'll see the elevator straight ahead. There's also stairs to the right of the elevator.
A former member
Post #: 51
Can you explain how you work the game "slots"?
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 926
You also might want to change this answer:
Q: How much does it cost to play?

A: There is no mandatory fee for the group at the present time. Our only expense is the space we rent on meetup.com. So come out for a couple events and see if you like the group. If you have a good time and plan on becoming a regular then please consider buying the group a month on the meetup site. Right now it's only about $12/month. The onther way to support the group is by making a purchase from Higher Grounds where we meet every Wednesday.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,133
Can you explain how you work the game "slots"?

Hey Doug,

Essentially the slots are just a random name we gave to the first and second games of the night. We used to try and plan out everything but it's difficult to know how long each game will take. Anyway slot 1 will start roughly 6:45ish and run for an hour and a half to 2 hours and then slot 2 will start aounr 8:15 - 8:45. Really it's just a way to setup games for the night.