The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Midge
Midge-TW
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 35
Rodney, I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to play Last Will yet. You make it sound like I should run out & buy it unplayed.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 686
You should really submit your review to the geek, Rodney. It is better written than 90% of what gets put up there.

Screw the geek. If you're going to be putting out reviews like this regularly, you should start up your own blog.

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,799
Well I really didn't want to turn my posts into reviews but they seem to turn out that way after re-reading them. My original goal was to simply give my comments on games I've played, but with a rating system added to the different categories is does sound more like a review.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,800
Maybe I should just start posting like this.....

LAST WILL

ACCESSIBILITY-60
THEME-90
COMPONENTS-70
ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN-65
RULES-70
MECHANICS-80
GAME PLAY-85
UNIQUENESS-85
REPLAYABILTY-70
GAME EXPERIENCE-92

Overall Rating 76.7

I'd be able to get more done sooner wink
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,134
You need one of those voice-to-text programs. Than you can just talk out your reviews while you're driving.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,803
WURFEL BOHNANZA
Published in 2012. Designed by Uwe Rosenberg.

ACCESSIBILITY
A light weight dice game for 2-5 players ages 10 & up that takes around 45 minutes to play. This should be a filler, but the 45 min. of play time pushes it outside the filler category. For me personally it's a bit longer than it needs to be. Rating 60.

THEME
Players take on the roles of bean farmers, harvesting beans in an effort to earn money. The theme is weak and pasted on. Any theme could have been used with the same results. Rating 35.

COMPONENTS
Seven dice, 61 harvest cards, 5 overview cards, one bean field.  Components are high quality and functional. Rating 75.

ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN
Each die face represents a different type/color of bean. The dice are cute, but color is really all that matters. The harvest cards are bright and colorful and work well for color recognition when determining your goals throughout the game. Rating 70.

RULES
Currently this game is only available in a German edition. I had to print an English translation. The rules do an adequate job of explaining the game and comes with plenty of pictures and examples. Rating 70.

MECHANICS
Dice rolling and set collection. It is what it is. Rating 60.

GAME PLAY
Each player is given two harvest cards. Each card shows six different rows of dice patterns that you need to roll in order to complete bean orders and earn money. 

On your turn you'll roll all seven dice and set at least one die onto the beanfield and reroll the rest. You will continue this process until all seven dice have been rolled, or you decide to stop rolling. 

You're attempting to roll combinations of dice shown on your harvest cards working your way up the card rows from bottom to top. Only after you have completed three rows will you earn one dollar. Each additional row completed after that will earn you an additional dollar to a maximum of four. Completing a card earns you another card. The first player to earn 13 dollars wins the game. Rating 65.

UNIQUENESS
What makes this game unique is the way it keeps everyone involved even when it's not your turn. Regardless of who's turn it is, all players have the opportunity to complete the rows on their cards. So even when you're not the active player you need to pay attention to each an every roll made by all players in the game. No going to the bathroom when its not your turn in this game. Rating 60.

REPLAYABILTY
Lots of harvest cards give you many different goals each and every game, but in reality each game has the same feel over and over again. Wash rinse and repeat. Rating 45.

GAME EXPERIENCE
The game isn't totally mindless. All dice are not identical. Three dice have different dice patterns than the other four. Even if you don't roll what you want, your still forced to set one die aside. The overview card combined with your harvest card helps determine whats best to set aside. Another factor is the row above the row your currently attempting to fulfill. It's possible to fulfill three rows per seven dice rolled. It's tempting to set aside dice for a row your currently not going for, but thus lessening your chance to achieve your current goal. Goals must be completed in order. If your lucky to complete your active goal and set aside dice for rows above you may complete two or even three rows before ending your turn. 

The game for me was just average at best. The game would be fine if it took 15-20 minutes, but after 45 minutes it simply overstays it welcome. Of course with fewer players and some lucky rolls the game could end quicker. Another option is to simply lower the number of coins required to achieve victory. Say from 13 to 10. I've played the game three times with family and all games took between 45 min. to an hour to play. Rating 51.

ACCESSIBILITY-60
THEME-35
COMPONENTS-75
ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN-70
RULES-70
MECHANICS-60
GAME PLAY-65
UNIQUENESS-60
REPLAYABILTY-45
GAME EXPERIENCE-51

Overall Rating 59.1
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,804
LORDS OF WATERDEEP
Published 2012. Designed by Peter Lee & Rodney Thompson

ACCESSIBILITY
A light-medium weight game for 2-5 players ages 12 & up that takes 60min. to play. Because of its simple rules and ease of play I'd consider this a gateway style of game accessible to both gamers and non gamers alike. I've played this with my family and they even requested to play it again a week later. Rating 95.

THEME
Players take on the roles of Lords influencing the city of Waterdeep in an effort to gain prestige points. The theme is based on the Dungeons and Dragons world of fantasy and quite frankly it's the reason I originally steered clear of this game. Not that I have anything against Dungeons and Dragons, I've never played it but it never really interested me. I think any number of themes could've been applied to this game and had equal success. Rating 75.

COMPONENTS
The components are top notch. 133 wooden pieces, 121 cards, 170 die cut pieces, and 5 player mats. What I really like is the storage tray that holds every single component securely in place. Simply put, it doesn't get any better than this. Rating 100. 

ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN
The artwork, on the cards is very well done. But where the game really shines is in its graphic design. Everything is well laid and thought out. The graphic design makes both teaching and learning the game quick and simple. It all makes sense. Rating 95.

RULES
The rulebook is 24 pages long and at first look seems a bit intimidating. In reality gameplay is explained on one page. The rest of the manual explains in detail the buildings, cards, board locations, components and setup. The color rulebook does a fine job leaving no questions unanswered. Another thing I like is the rules reference on the last page of the manual. Everything you need to know from setup to basic gameplay to scoring can be found on that last page of the book without having to search for it in the manual. Rating 95.

MECHANICS
Card drafting, set collection, and worker placement are the three mechanics utilized in this game. Nothing new or different here, but what it does do it does well. Rating 80.

GAME PLAY
Each player begins with two quest cards, one lord card, two intrigue cards, agents, and money. One of the main reasons I consider this a gateway game is because the basic rules can be explained in 5-10 min. 

On your turn you simply place an agent on a location on the board and execute the action associated with that space. Then if possible fulfill a quest card. It's that easy.

The round will end when all agents are placed. The game lasts eight rounds and the player with the most points wins. The majority of points will be earned by completing quests. Completing quests involves collecting set of cubes and or money. Additional points can be earned at the end of the game based on lord cards as well as left over cubes and money. 

The graphic design on the board locations is laid out so well that it barely even needs an explanation. The same goes with the quest cards. Never have I played a new game with my family where so few questions were asked. For the most part everyone could decipher everything for themselves. Rating 85.

UNIQUENESS
Sadly this is where this game fails. There is nothing new here. Everything here has been done before in other games. And for that I have to rate it a 0. 

REPLAYABILTY
What I do like are the 24 different buildings that come with this game. For the most part you probably won't see anymore than 8-10 buildings per game. The buildings allow different and additional actions to be taken during the game. So besides the basic board actions that never change, the buildings that can possibly come into play provide a decent amount of replayability making for a different game each time you play. 

Printed on the main board is what appears to be a location for another player. I'm assuming an expansion(s) will be coming soon. Rating 75.

GAME EXPERIENCE
Despite there being nothing new or unique here it still has been an enjoyable experience for me. As I stated earlier, what it does do it does well. In fact I could probably cull a bunch of games from my collection that use the same mechanics that don't do it half as well as this game. 

This game isn't difficult by any means, but it does have enough going on to make it an enjoyable game for even experienced gamers. I think this game can do for the hobby what Ticket to Ride has done. And that is introduce non gamers to the world of board games to let them know that other games exist besides Monopoly and Scrabble. Rating 90.

ACCESSIBILITY-95
THEME-75
COMPONENTS-100
ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN-95
RULES-95
MECHANICS-80
GAME PLAY-85
UNIQUENESS-0
REPLAYABILTY-75
GAME EXPERIENCE-90

Overall Rating 79
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,805
BULLENPARTY
Published in 2012, designed by Wolfgang Kramer.

ACCESSIBILITY
A light weight filler for 2-5 players ages 8 & up that takes 20 minutes to play. This game is part of the 6 Nimmt family of games. Other games in the series include 11 Nimmt, Hornochsen, and Take 5. All these card games are quick fillers accessible to families and gamers of all ages. Rating 80.

THEME
None. Rating 0.

COMPONENTS
100 number cards, 10 bull cards, 5 zero cards. Your standard quality deck of cards. Rating 60.

ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN
Not much to speak of here. Each card is numbered and has a smaller number of bull heads on each card that represents victory points. The cards are clear, colorful and functional. Rating 50.

RULES
This is another German only game. I had to print an English translation. The rules are precise and simple to comprehend. Rating 60.

MECHANICS
Hand management, and simultaneous action selection that involves blind bidding. Rating 70.

GAME PLAY
Each player is dealt five number cards and one zero card. Each round starts by placing cards in rows and ends after bidding when each player has taken a row of cards. The number of rows equals the number of players in the game. 

Two cards are placed face up in each row. Then each player simultaneously places a face down card in front of them. Placing a number card other than zero means you will be taking a row of cards. Placing your zero card face down means an additional card will be added to a row. All cards are then revealed.

The player that played the lowest number card (other than the zero) is first to pick a row of cards. The next lowest number goes second and so on. If a player or players played their zero card, a face down card from the draw pile is given to them and then added to a row of their choice. 

A row can contain at most 5 cards. Once 5 cards are showing players must bid a number card to take a row. Whenever a player takes a row he is required to play cards from his hand face up in front of him in ascending order to get his hand back down to six cards (including the zero).

Ideally you'd like to have a single pile of face up cards at the end of the game. This pile will score you positive points based on the number of bullheads on each card. Each additional pile of face up cards will score you negative points. The player with the most positive points after subtracting any negative points wins the game. Rating 80.

UNIQUENESS
Not a whole lot unique here. Other card games have done similar things, but this goes about it in a slightly different way that makes it a bit more interesting. Rating 65.

REPLAYABILTY
As a filler the game isn't going to be played a whole lot. However whenever a filler is needed this isn't a bad one to grab off the shelf. Rating 75.

GAME EXPERIENCE
Of all the games in this series this is one of the better ones. One thing I didn't mention in gameplay was the special bull cards. Gaining these cards are always positive points. The only way to grab them however is to take a complete row of five cards. Taking more cards can score more points, but only if you can play them in an ascending order, which is easier than it sounds. More often than not it forces you to begin additional face up piles resulting in negative points. 

All an all it's a nice filler with simple rules with just enough decisions to keep things interesting for 15-20 minutes. Rating 80.

ACCESSIBILITY-80
THEME-0
COMPONENTS-60
ART/GRAPHIC DESIGN-50
RULES-60
MECHANICS-70
GAME PLAY-80
UNIQUENESS-65
REPLAYABILTY-75
GAME EXPERIENCE-80

Overall Rating 62
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 689
1812 - Invasion of Canada

Got to play this for the first time at Bacsim. What a hoot. It's a two-sided war, but there are two or three factions per side, which makes for some varied and interesting player interaction. The board is good looking and functional. The cards are pretty and the dice are chunky and colorful. I was afraid there was going to be a downtime concern, but it plays fast and everyone remains engaged on other player's turns. The fellah who ran the game thought that the game was weighted in favor of the Brits, but there are plenty of folks on the geek who think it's tilted towards the Americans, which is about par for the course these days.

I rate the game 4 and 1/3 Rodneys, which means I'd like to play it again soon, even to the point that I may snap and buy a copy next week.

Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 682

I rate the game 4 and 1/3 Rodneys, which means I'd like to play it again soon, even to the point that I may snap and buy a copy next week.

I spit my cereal on my laptop.