addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Recently Played Games

Recently Played Games

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,696
 Flipshot is a light family card game for 2-5 players that plays in 15 min. The goal of the game is to score the most points. You'll score points by collecting sets of like colored cards. Each card collected equals one point.

The game consists of a deck of multi colored cards and one rack per player that will hold six cards. In order to score a set, you must have 4,5,or 6 like colored cards adjacent to one another in your rack. Simply remove your cards, show them, add them to your score pile and replenish your hand. 

What makes this game unique is that all the cards are double sided. Not only are you paying attention to your cards, but your also watching closely the backsides of your opponents cards. You can also grab and score your opponents cards if their backsides end up having 4,5, or 6 similarly adjacent color cards.

On your turn you have six possible actions you can take of which you will perform two of each turn. Your options are to flip a card, swap cards with an opponent, switch cards within your rack, swap two adacently colored cards with two adjacently colored cards of an opponent, score your cards, or score the backsides of an opponent. 

Not much to this game. A simple filler for people of all ages. 
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,697
Ab in die Tonne is another light game with simple gameplay suitable for people of all ages.

Each player is given a large flat cardboard garbage can that sits on a pedestal raising the garbage can on one end giving it a ramp like appearance . Each player is also given 15 pieces of flat cardboard garbage that consists of all different shapes and sizes. Each players 15 pieces are identical.

Towards the top of each garbage can are a scale of numbers. The higher to the top of the garbage can you go, the higher the numbers. Your goal is to have the lowest score after three rounds of play.

The starting player randomly picks one piece of garbage. All other players pick this same piece of garbage. Taking that garbage in hand, all players place that piece at the top of their garbage can and release it at the same time. The garbage will slide down to the bottom on the can. The next player then chooses a different piece of garbage and all players repeat the same process until all pieces have been played.

With all the oddball shapes of the garbage pieces your garbage-can will quickly fill up and not in a way that you'd like. The more compact your garbage, the lower your score. After all pieces are played, players score based on what level their garbage reaches. Again the lower the better.

The garbage-can itself also shows randomly placed pieces of chewing gum. Round two plays the same exact way as round one except that you want to try an cover those pieces of chewing gum. Doing so will subtract points from your final score for the round. Round three plays like round two, except you want the pieces of chewing gum to not be covered this time around. The lowest score after three rounds wins the game.

Another light simple game with easy rules that should be easier than it is. Trying to get all those oddball shaped pieces to fit together tight like a jigsaw puzzle so the garbage is a compact as possible isn't as easy you'd think. It's not a game your gonna play all the time, but it's sure to get a few laughs when it comes out.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,700
Castelli is the latest release from Queen games. I tend to pick up many Queen titles because they are usually games that are simple enough to play with family, yet provide enough strategy to keep things interesting for more experienced players.

Castelli is a medium weight strategy game for 2-4 players that's takes 45min. to play. Players are attempting to score points by gathering resources required to build castles in prime locations. The player with the most points at the end of the game will be the winner.

The board is a puzzle style board that requires assembly before play. I'm really starting to dislike these style of boards. The slightest warp of any of these pieces causes the board to easily fall apart when touched. 

After the board is assembled, small square tiles are randomly placed faced down on the designated squares between octagonal land spaces made up of various types of terrain. These square tiles each have a colored number on each side with each color representing a different player in the game. 

On your turn you simply pick one tile and flip it face up and decide how you want to place it by rotating it as you prefer. Since each tile has not only your number on it, but also each other players as well, when placing a tile it effects all surrounding areas the numbers point to. Your attempting to place the tile in a way that will give you more influence on an area than anyone else. It's a game of give an take and you never fully know if you'll have full control until all four tiles of a surrounding region are revealed and positioned. The reason you want control of an area is to gain the resources that that area provides giving you the resources needed to build castles. Building castles in the best areas score you the most points. 

The two player game I played with my grandmother was just average at best. There are cards that can influence play and the game does come with three expansion modules that might make things a bit more interesting, but nothing really stood out and made this game exciting. I'm hoping that this game will play better with four players. With two players  half the board is eliminated and two of the numbers on the tiles of non players don't effect gameplay. Even though the game can play with two or three players,  i think the game is designed to be played with four. 

I'm willing to give this one another try but only with four players. As soon as I do I'll post another report and let you know if it plays any better. 
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,701
Space Maze is a 2-4 player medium weight pick up and deliver game that plays in aprox. 45 min. 

Each player controls three different shaped aliens each colored orange, green, and purple. The goal of the game is to pickup an alien artifact located in the center of a maze and be the first player to bring it back to your spaceship. 

What drew me to this game was the similarities to robo rally. The game comes with 25 large square tiles that are randomly placed in a 5*5 grid that form the board. Each players spaceship starts on one corner of the grid and the artifact is located in the middle of the board/maze. 

The game comes with a bunch of colored dice that match the aliens as well as special movement dice for moving your aliens through the maze. Along with the dice are a deck of cards that allow you to alter the maze to help get you where you want to go, as well as to mess with the plans of other players. Each square maze tile has four entry/exit doors on each edge. Each door is colored either red, blue, or yellow. The key to moving your alien through the maze is to rotate the tiles primary color doors to your secondary color of the alien your attempting to move. In other words a red door next to a yellow door makes orange. Meaning you can move your orange alien through those doors closer to your goal. 

A turn begins with the start player rolling all the dice. Then that player choses one die to determine what aliens he wants to move, or selects a die to use with a card to alter the maze. Once one player selects his action the next player will choose one of the remaining dice. This will continue until each player has taken three actions at which time the round will end and all the dice will be re rolled and actions will be chosen again. 

Once a player grabs the artifact he wins if he gets the artifact back to his ship. Having the artifact also gives you a special power allowing you to pass through any doors no matter what their color is. The problem is you are now the target as each player will be attempting to steal the artifact from you. A game of capture the flag then ensues. The game can also be won if your the first player to grab the artifact three times before another player gets it back to his spaceship.

With two players the game wasn't very exciting. Although with four players this game has got to be real chaotic. Looking forward to playing it with more players sometime soon. 
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,702
Of all the games I played this past weekend Santiago de Cuba was the most interesting. This game is an economic game for 2-4 players that takes 60 min. It mechanically combines worker placement and pickup and deliver and is designed by Michael Rieneck the designer of Cuba, of which this game shares some similarities. 

This game is a much lighter and shorter version of its big brother, but still  has enough  interesting decisions to keep gamers involved throughout the course of the game. The art and components are top notch and the rules are simple enough to pickup quickly even for non gamers.

Players take on the roles of brokers, wheeling and dealing to gather goods to fill the demand of seven ships that represent the seven rounds of the game. The board has locations for seven Cubans that can be visited during the game. Each Cuban offers a benefit along with a special building that will be used to help you in your quest to gather the most valuable goods at that time. Eventually players will stop at the port where the ships demands can be filled scoring the players victory points. 

I'm hoping to get this game to the table again this weekend to try it with four players. It's a nice medium weight game that I think the rest of my family would enjoy and might even request to play again in the future. 

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,705
So how many played Urban Sprawl? Was it any good?

How many of you turned into zombies?

Did you guys play Ora & Labora?
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,954
As predicted, 3 of us turned into zombies before Don succumbed to the horde thereby grabbing the "win". Eaten by Zombies is certainly different than any other deck building game I have played. There are really no comparisons to draw between it and the 2 big kids on the block: Thunderstone and Dominion. Probably its most notable mechanic is that the cards in your deck function as your "life". When you are attacked by the zombie horde, you lose cards from your deck, and when you can no longer draw cards when required, you become a zombie. This is a double edged sword, however. Take what happened to Shelia, for instance. She was doing well with a fairly decent number of good cards. Then in 1 turn she was mauled by the zombie horde for 14 points of damage - that's 14 cards removed from her deck. At that point I'd say we all had somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 cards in our deck. Needless to say, losing half the cards in your deck is hard to recover from, and she never did. The game also seems to end very abruptly. For the 1st two "rounds" when only 1 or 2 zombies come out each turn, its very easy to flee or fight your way to some swag (unless you get a really bad hand), but by the 3rd round when 3 zombies come out every turn, its EXTREMELY difficult to do anything except just take a beating. Andy, Shelia, and I became zombies all within the 1st turn of the 3rd round. As a matter of fact, Andy was the only person that got to play a turn as a zombie. The only reason Don didn't become a zombie is he got a REALLY lucky draw and was actually able to fend off the horde that came after him on his first turn of the 3rd round.

Now it may sound like I didn't like the game, but that's not true. I did enjoy it and I think there is a some potential there. It most certainly is unlike any other deck game I own, and I think with another play or two under my belt the strategies of the game may become more apparent. For instance, if my first play is any indication, its important to build a deck tailored to fighting OR fleeing, not both. I attempted to build a balanced deck, and it bit me in the rump once more than 1 or 2 zombies came after me. Don seemed to have the most focused deck (he had a lot of guns and bullets and cards that let him draw more cards), and he was the winner. I'd definitely like to get it to the table again and see how it plays now that I have a better feel for it.

Bottom line: EbZ! is a strange duck that plays very differently from other deck building games. It's dripping with theme and the art direction is awesome. It'll never replace Thunderstone as my deck building game of choice, but I don't regret purchasing it and would like to get it to the table again soon.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,707
Them guys still playing Urban Sprawl? Or was it that terrible of a game that nobody wants to talk about it?
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,708
My in-laws came over on Friday and we played a few games. Ab in die Tonne, Casa Grande, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride India. 

I've spoke about two of the four games in previous posts. And I'm  sure everyone here has already played Carcassonne before so I assume there's no need to discuss that game either. However, Ticket to Ride India is the latest map in the series. I'll assume everyone here has played Ticket to Ride before so I  won't go into details on gameplay but I'll touch on whats different with this map.

The India map plays like the original with only major difference being in scoring at the end of the game. A special Grand Tour of India bonus is awarded to players whose two destination cities are linked via at least two distinct continues paths of its owners trains. These two paths may intersect, but cannot share trains. Basically, connect to your destination tickets twice to the same cities using two different routes to receive the bonus.

The size of the bonus depends on how many different tickets qualify for this bonus. The first two tickets you complete in this fashion are worth five extra points a piece, each one thereafter is worth and additional ten points each, so the points can really add up. Many of the destination tickets are short routes which encourages players to go for this bonus. However, if many players target these bonuses your chances of making your bonuses are greatly reduced as routes quickly become blocked.

Ticket to Ride is a game I can always get my family to play. This map changes things up just enough to keep the game fresh and interesting. I'm sure this map will hit the table quite a few times over the next few months.
Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,724
Urban Sprawl is a roller coaster ride. You gain or lose mad points on a single turn.

You can get elected to positions based upon the value of your buildings. We didn't get how important some of them were. Knowing the value of building was a bit of pain.

I thought about it on the ride home that night. I think I missed a lot. I would try something completely different if I played again.

If you don't mind getting hosed, it's a fun game. (Some of the cards might as well say "go back three spaces", however. They're that random and you just have to accept the pain.)