East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,963
Nope. 1st I've heard of it.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 319
Hmmm, could be interesting.

Looks like the game library will be in part the collection of BGG user Divreon, living in Cheektowaga. I don't recall meeting a gamer named Steven Hoffman, but looking at his collection that may not be a surprise; it doesn't look like he's as into the types of games played by the Wednesday group.

Do you guys know him?
Mark K.
user 7494885
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 975
Hey folks. My name is Mark, and I'm the Convention Director for Queen City Conquest.

Steve Hoffman is bringing in a huge supply of board games for the Open Board Gaming area. If you've been to UB Con, and seen their open gaming library, then that is about what you can expect to see here. His 'owned' list on BGG is only his 'traveling' library. He will be bringing the full monte for the actual convention. If you've got any of your own games that you want to bring in, we'd love to have you host an event or two with us.

We will also have Role Playing Games, War Games, and Collectible Card Games, for those who are interested. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to message me directly or reply here. I'll be tracking this thread.

Hope to see you there.

-Mark
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 650
Andy, I think that's the fellah who brings the library to UBCon. Never met him.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 651
I'll save you some typing. smile

Conversation with Mark re: open gaming.

Will there be space for open gaming?

We will have space for almost any gaming, but I need to know what you mean by open.

If you mean a game that doesnt havea set module, and the module or scenario will be selected onsite, then yes.

If you mean an area where anyone can just sit down and play without a ticket, then no. all games will require a generic ticket at least. Our open board gaming area will allow you to sit and play any game, as long as you have a generic ticket.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if I can provide any more assistance.

By "open gaming", I mean an area where badge-holders can bring their own games, set up, and play all day. If I understand you correctly, all such gamers would have to monitor themselves and purchase a $2.50 generic ticket every 2 hours. For example, if I gamed from 10-10 Saturday and 10-6 Sunday, the cost would be (badge + 20 hours) $35. Is this the case?

Your understanding is very close to correct. Everything you said is true, but there is some information that I'd like to add on top of it.

We would typically expect one person to be the Game Master(or GM) of the group. That person would be responsible for collecting tickets and turning them into the registration area. That person should also submit an event for this at the website, in order to include it in the list of events and the con book. This also allows us to sell tickets for the specific event, rather than relying on generic tickets only.

The GM also receives GM rewards as a way of us saying thanks for running your event at our convention. Only players would have to pay for badges.

Mark K.
user 7494885
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 976
I'll save you some typing. smile
Thanks! This group is very friendly.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 652
Most of you people have more con experience than I do. Is this sort of thing a popular format for "open" gaming?
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,101
I've never been to a Con that wasn't one-price all day admission. If I'm understanding this correctly, and I'm not sure that I am, there really isn't open gaming, as they would prefer you to pre-arrange what, where and when so that it's an event with a GM.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 788
Mark I would like you to reconsider how you are thinking of organizing the boardgaming at this convention.

The traditional con format of tickets works very well for longer slots such as in most RPGs, however it is not a good format for boardgamers.

Most boardgamers wont preplan which games they are going to play they simply just show up see who is there and wing it based on number of players and personal interest. Also you will find that while having some games on site is a nice thing, most of us would probably prefer to bring some of our own favorites as it is hard to have onsite a collection that will account for everybodys tastes.

I think I speak for most people in this group (and correct me if I am wrong guys) when I say that the format that would be most boardgame friendly and encourage most of us to attend is to simply have a nice open space to play, and allow for a boardgame ribbon or bracelet that allows a player to use that space all day. In my opinion it would be reasonable to charge 5$ per day or 10$ for the full weekend above the registration fee for access to this space.

This type of setup is much more appealing to players like me who just want to bring a box of games, have a place to play and intermingle with other boardgamers. I am not interested in prescheduling events, signing up for events or earning rewards for running events, I just want to be able to have a nice place to play. If you are aware the four other major boardgame conventions Origins, GenCon, WBC and BGG Con are all moving to or using this type of setup, it just works better for boardgamers. All smaller local Boardgame conventions use this type of format.

These are of course suggestions, but I would hazard a guess that going with the current format that you are proposing for boardgames you will have a lot of the boardgame crowd choose to save the 30-40 bucks and invite some friends over to their basement that weekend instead.

I do not intend to offend you in anyway and applaud you for your goal in attempting to setup a high quality gaming event here in Buffalo, I hope you take this post just for what it is, suggestions from a boardgamer on what I would like to see at such a con. I hope that the other members of this group let me know if you agree or disagree with these suggestions.

Sorry for the length of this post but the reason is that I am excited about the idea of having a great gaming event here in Buffalo but I would really like you to consider these ways to make this more appealing to hobby boardgamers. I appreciate you seeking us out here and letting us know about your event.