addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Downtown Buffalo Con

Downtown Buffalo Con

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,731
I too applaud you for what you are attempting to accomplish, but I also agree with Ryan when it comes to open boardgaming.
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 640
Hoffman is a good guy, I know him pretty well.
Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,728
I think Ryan summed it up nicely.

Just a suggestion, Mark K, but how about an open boardgaming badge that costs more? If you buy one you agree to run your own games, forgo the GM bonus and if you decide to participate in one of the scheduled events, you need to purchase a ticket.

I'm not much of a RPG guy but I get that your format work well for that kind of gaming. Ryan did a great job describing what works well for boardgaming at a con. We're just looking for some table space and an area to mingle with other gamers.

Bob T.
user 2281115
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 119
Most of you people have more con experience than I do. Is this sort of thing a popular format for "open" gaming?

No, it isn't. Ryan pretty much nails it.
Mark K.
user 7494885
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 977
Ryan, and others-

Thanks for your feedback. I'm considering taking your suggestion, but before I do, I want to lay out how I'm envisioning this working. If for some reason the current system can't accommodate your needs, I'll add the passes as you asked.

First, you can get the exact same experience you've described with the current system if you buy a day's worth of generic tickets. You would hand in your generic ticket, and claim a table in the open gaming area, and play whatever game you want. You can play one from our library, or bring in your own games, just as you've described.

Second, although a majority of board gamers like the open, unplanned variety of gaming, I imagine that a few gamers, even in this group, have a specific game that they want to play at least once or twice. For these folks, they would be able to submit an event where they host that specific game, and other people who are interested can sign up to participate. This fits in perfectly with our existing system of events and event tickets.

The first major advantage to this system is that it is cheaper for you, the gamer. If you decide that you don't want to show up friday afternoon, but you would like to show up friday night, you only pay for friday night. If you are an event host, you don't pay for your own event.

The second major advantage to this system is the flexability. If you only want to play board games for 2 hours on saturday morning, and then want to spend the afternoon playing Dungeons and Dragons, or Magic the Gathering, then you don't have to buy an entire day pass for just 2 hours. If you happen to buy generic tickets for a whole day, and end up not using them, you can turn them back in for a refund.

Additionally, this system helps me to identify what events are popular, and what events are less popular, so that I can plan for future conventions accordingly. If it turns out that this year, board games are a huge smash success, I can provide more room for them next year, and bring in board game companies, to demonstrate their product, and preview upcoming games, and provide even more support for the board gaming community.

So, in summary, you can do exactly what you want, simply by buying a day's worth of generic tickets, and even more options are available with this system.

Now, I've laid out how I envision things. I'm anxious to hear if you think this will serve your purpose, or if you think the idea of a day pass for board games is still better.

I can tell you that the economics of the system won't work at $5/day, $10/weekend. The prices would have to be slightly higher. I haven't done the math yet, but I estimate the prices would be something like Fri - $8, Sat - $12, Sun - $8, or $20 for the whole weekend. If you haven't read the post about the economics of the convention, and why I have prices set as they are, you can check it out at http://www.queencityc...­

Again, thank you for your feedback. This sort of discussion is what I need to make sure that this convention is a success, and that it provides you with the type of gaming experience that you want.

-Mark
Mark K.
user 7494885
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 978
I think Ryan summed it up nicely.

Just a suggestion, Mark K, but how about an open boardgaming badge that costs more? If you buy one you agree to run your own games, forgo the GM bonus and if you decide to participate in one of the scheduled events, you need to purchase a ticket.

I'm not much of a RPG guy but I get that your format work well for that kind of gaming. Ryan did a great job describing what works well for boardgaming at a con. We're just looking for some table space and an area to mingle with other gamers.

Joe-

I'm trying to avoid charging the gamers any more than I have to. I really only want you to pay for what you actually use. If you guys want the badges, I'll add them. I'm just waiting to hear responses to my previous post at this point before making the call.

I don't want to over complicate things by making some GMs forgo rewards. If you run a game, you will be offered rewards.

The open gaming area provides exactly what you want. Table space, and an area to mingle.

-Mark
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,964
I have moved the event from "suggested" over to the calendar as a scheduled meetup.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 789
Thank you Mark for responding to my concerns!

First of all I wholeheartedly agree that people who want to should be able to organize and schedule boardgames using your ticket system. It makes sense for especially longer games, or people who want to get the GM discounts or who just really want to get something to the table. I just think that many boardgamers probably wont, and would prefer the more open ended format. You may even want to offer tickets for 2hr blocks in the board game room for those that dont want to commit a whole day there.

But for those of us who will be solely attending for open gaming, getting tickets for 2hr blocks is kind of a hassle as board games can run 3 or 5 hours and than how do you pay for that and who collects every 2 hours? Having a bracelet or ribbon for the day/weekend would be much more preferable and would make me much more interested in attending. It also goes back to paying for what you use, people can play go eat lunch come back and not worry about what specific hours they play.

So what is the price point for such a badge? Tough question, Your weekend badge is $10. I would wager many will want to just come Saturday and play games most of the day. What is the amount people are willing to pay to attend your con and have a place to play games for a day? Personally my pain threshold would be $20, but I would feel better about something at $15 or closer to $15.

Where you set this will probably determine how many people show up so its a tough call. If my $5 day/ $10 weekend is too low I would say the highest you would want to go is $10 1 Day $15 2 days $20 Weekend or somewhere inbetween. With these prices being above and beyond the 10 dollar badge price. So a boardgamer would expect to be in it 15-20 bucks for a day or 30 bucks for the weekend.

Just my suggestions, thanks being willing to listen.
Michael
user 11606040
Lewiston, NY
Post #: 21
Hey, all. Haven't been around much and I hope to come back soon but I wanted to see what's going on with this convention.

From what I gather (and I haven't read every specific detail on the tread), if I want to show up with a bunch of games and friends and we just find a table and play, (like Niagara Board Gaming Weekend), this sounds like it could not be a good fit?

If it can be like NBW and I pay like 10-15 dollars to get a badge to play open gaming all day, say, Saturday, then I'd certainly be there, if not...I'd just game at someones house.

Similar to what Ryan said, if it approached $20 for one day, that's a little high, when I can just get a group together to game at my house.

But I hope this can be something that I would attend.

And I hope to be coming back to the regular group meet ups soon.
Mark K.
user 7494885
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 979
A couple notes...

You may even want to offer tickets for 2hr blocks in the board game room for those that dont want to commit a whole day there.
2 hour tickets are already available.

But for those of us who will be solely attending for open gaming, getting tickets for 2hr blocks is kind of a hassle as board games can run 3 or 5 hours and than how do you pay for that and who collects every 2 hours?
You would just turn in a second 2hour ticket. If your game goes overtime by 10 or 20 minutes, no big deal. Towards an hour over, I would expect a second ticket be turned in.

So what is the price point for such a badge? ...So a boardgamer would expect to be in it 15-20 bucks for a day or 30 bucks for the weekend.
This sounds reasonable. Let me work out the math, and make sure this is economically feasible.

If i added the $20 weekend gaming pass, who here would buy it?