The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › June 27th Games

June 27th Games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,040
This thread is for members to post what games they want to run next week and players looking to join those games. Monday at 7pm we'll post the game list for the week and that's when players should sign up. Late games may be added so you may want to check back before Wednesday.

Slot 1
Space Alert - Andy - 1 seats available - (Andy, AndrewL, Paul, Joe, Don)
Inca x2 - Rodney, Joe - 1 seat available - (Rodney, Ryan, Joe, JP, Jeff, Shelia, Jenna)

Slot 2
Survive - Rodney - 2 seats available - (Rodney, Ryan)
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 358
If Andrew is going to be there, and wants to try it, I'll run:

Slot 1

Space Alert

Up to 5 players (it plays best with 4 or 5)

Each individual mission is 10 minutes, with ~ 5 minutes for resolution. In the past we've played 2.0 - 2.5 hours, adding rules as we go and getting to internal threats and battlebots.

No experience necessary. One note - I'm hoping the next time I run this to be able to add the expansion, which will probably require having played before, in case that matters to anyone.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 128
Haha yes thanks Andy, I'll be there. I've been dying to try this absurd game.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,041
I only played Space Alert once, and that was ages ago, but it was a lot of fun (even if we didn't play it 100% correctly).

Jeff, you likely know this, but Le Havre is up on the appstore. I've already grabbed it and I look forward to trying it, but it seems like a really beefy game. Hopefully the tutorial does a better job of teaching the game than the Caylus tutorial did.

If only there was some resource available that would help me learn to play these games.....
Jeff
user 26500762
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 42
I only played Space Alert once, and that was ages ago, but it was a lot of fun (even if we didn't play it 100% correctly).

Jeff, you likely know this, but Le Havre is up on the appstore. I've already grabbed it and I look forward to trying it, but it seems like a really beefy game. Hopefully the tutorial does a better job of teaching the game than the Caylus tutorial did.

If only there was some resource available that would help me learn to play these games.....

Yep saw it when I got home last night. Haven't picked it up yet though. From what I read the tutorial
is supposed to be really good so you shouldn't have too hard of a time learning it.

Also I've heard this guy is pretty good never used it myself....
LINKdevilish
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,042
Yep saw it when I got home last night. Haven't picked it up yet though. From what I read the tutorial
is supposed to be really good so you shouldn't have too hard of a time learning it.

Also I've heard this guy is pretty good never used it myself....
LINKdevilish

I tried using your link, Jeff, but I think it's broken. After like 5 seconds it sounds like somebody is trying to play a guitar with oven mitts on or something so I closed the link.

The tutorial actually does a good job of explaining the game. Essentially it walks you thru an entire short game against a computer opponent. The game itself is amazingly simple, but the number of options you have with your one action is staggering. I can see it would take quite a few plays to grasp all the ways the various parts work together. Think my 1st couple plays I'll consider a win if I just manage to feed my workers. Score be damned.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 359
Feeding your workers is overrated (that said, I've never tried the starving/loan strategy, probably because I've never seen it pulled off well enough to win, but there are those that claim it's unstoppable and that Dominion is always won by just getting money...)

I'm happy to hear the tutorial for Le Havre is good; the Caylus one was pretty bad. I had played Caylus a bunch of times and still had trouble with my first game (ignoring the random crashing). It took me over half of the game to figure out where the building costs to build new buildings were, and everytime I went to build something I was told I couldn't. I don't know that there is anywhere that fully explains what the favors do (if you don't already know it, the building track can be confusing), or that you can't take the same favor track twice in the same turn (or at least in the same batch of favor selections). I also wish it made a bigger deal out of the fact that your opponent passed.

I need to figure out how to redeem Apple giftcards correctly so that I can get the game using them instead of it auto-charging my account like Caylus did...
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 858
Rodney are you coming? games on my request list to learn are inca empire, vasco, survive. Games I would like to get the table again are troyes hansa teutonica and carson city.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,825
Yeah I'll be there. I can run Inca or Vasco. Do you have a preference? I'll need to freshen up on the rules because its been awhile. We could also get in Survive for slot 2.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,145
Oh, oh, I vote for Inca!