Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,839
I decided to start a new link on what I believe are the best new games I've played so far this year. At the end of the year I'll rank those games that I list here.

Feel free to add your own personal best new played games this year. These don't necessarily need to be games released in 2012, they can be older games that you've played or experienced for the first time.

Memorable games that stick out for me thus far include....

Eclipse
Drum Roll
Village
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 55
Eclipse came out in ~October 2011 in Germany/Finland/etc. and late December (~25th) 2011 in the USA. :)
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,840
Like I said, this is not the best games made this year list. This is the best game you played for the first time this year. It could be a game from 1984 if you liked it enough and it was your first time playing it :)
Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,756
Trajan- at the risk of drumming up more interest in itsmile. The entire game is kinda pick a way to score and then score! (Then it's a short wait for your turn and you get to score again!) It doesn't sound like much but it's awesome.

Drum Roll-It's the kind of game I like the most; short, simple but enough going on to keep you interested.

Ora et Labora- After one play, I think I might like this one the best out of all of the more complicated card games Rosenberg has designed. I'd like to play it more to see if it holds up.

Rails of New England- I'm not 100% sure this is a good game but I had a lot of fun playing it.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 368
I'm surprised Drum Roll is scoring so well, it was one of my least favorite games of the last few months.

Ora et Labora was great and exceeded my expectations, even as a Rosenberg fan.

Antiquity lived up to the hype for me; much less cutthroat than it's younger(?) brother Roads & Boats, but still lots of interesting things going on, with one wrong decision (running out of wood) that can end your game.

Eclipse was pretty good, it's the right length for a space combat game for my collection.

The winner thus far for me has been Mage Knight. I wish it didn't take so long to play, but it's fantastically put together and a great time.

I'll throw an honorable mention out for Ticket to Ride Pocket. Pass 'n Play and AI for a quick Ticket to Ride fix has been great. I think I've gotten to play it on a plane, a train, and an automobile (and possibly a boat), something I don't think I can say for any other game in my collection.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,151
Elder Signs is our new coop game of choice at home.

Core Worlds is one of the best deckbuilders for me. Much better than the horrible Nightfall I learned last year.

Dungeon Fighter is completely ridiculous, but I love the mix of dexterity and dungeoncrawl.

Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar, which is supposed to come out at Essen, is my favorite worker placement since Stone Age. It's an interesting dilemma of letting your people stay on their path longer to get greater rewards, or taking them off for rewards you can use now, further complicated by the rule that you can either place workers or remove workers on your turn, but not both.

I have yet to play Ora et Labora, which is something I should remedy damn soon.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 862
Rex
High Frontier
Urban Sprawl
Twilight Struggle
Ora and Labora
Eclipse (of course)
Roads and Boats
Antiquity
Factory Fun
Rails of New England (im glad you said you liked this Joe because I would really like to play it again)
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 136
Ora & Labora takes the lead for me. The more I play the more the game opens up. A few plays in I was worried there were only a couple set paths to victory and that the game was basically a race, but this is definitely not the case. I'm pretty sure this beats out Agricola and Le Havre in my rankings.

Quebec has been another favorite, I wish I had more chances to play this as I've yet to try the advanced game. It's a great cube pusher with some pretty novel scoring mechanics.

Brass is one I've finally gotten a chance to try and I love it. I can't wait for the expected reissue later this year.

I liked Eclipse, High Frontier, Last Will, and a few others but I need more plays.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,062
Sadly, I haven't had much opportunity to game in the first half of 2012, but from my limited playtime two games do stick out:

Walnut Grove
Last Will

I also quite enjoyed Takenoko (with the revised rules), but that may have been 2011.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,842
I've played Ora & Labora once but it was the short game. I felt like it had potential to be Uwe's best game but I need more plays before deciding that. I still think Le Havre is a top 5 favorite of mine. It's simple elegant rules and mechanics but depth of game play always intrigues me. I think Drum Roll has some of those same features but not quite the depth of Le Havre.