The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Game Request Thread

Game Request Thread

Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 749
Ok. I'm not going to make it out this Wednesday. Looks like there's some interest; I might just have to pick it up myself. I'm just worried that there's going to be power creep with the boosters. Speaking of which, have y'all picked those up? One is already getting hard-to-find. smile
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 442
I have two core sets, and would be willing to lend one out for awhile if it would help you decide if it's something you want to play more (this feels like a version of the "first hit's free" strategy).

I'd be up for carving out an hour or two at the next BACSIM to run through the basic decks.

I have the first two booster sets, and at this point am planning on picking up each (though I haven't opened them up yet, since I haven't played the base decks enough to even get to the point where I'm deck building).

unfortunately, I'm still keeping an eye out for cards from the original game as well. Between my old cards and some collections I picked up back when they were cheap on Ebay (6-double deck starter boxes at one time sold for what a single double starter deck sells for now), I'm not too far from a complete set.

Scott also seemed somewhat interested in playing more after I showed him the game a while back (though he could tell us if I'm misreading his enthusiasm!)
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 755
I don't understand why you're still buying the old cards. Has collecting the cards become it's own hobby?

FFG put out this ultra-slick tutorial video, if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.co...­
Johnpatrick
user 7540224
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 100
I don't understand why you're still buying the old cards. Has collecting the cards become it's own hobby?

Saw that! It reminded me that I got one rule wrong in our learning game: bad publicity only gives you one credit per tile. No wonder you were scoffing at my ice. Also Andy and I got in a game yesterday so I have new ideas to replace that fail corp deck.

When my group was really into GoT lcg people would find the old ccg cards because many "new" cards were just reprints of old sets. Prob not the case with Netrunner because of all the ruleset changes, but maybe? Andy?
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 447

Saw that! It reminded me that I got one rule wrong in our learning game: bad publicity only gives you one credit per tile. No wonder you were scoffing at my ice. Also Andy and I got in a game yesterday so I have new ideas to replace that fail corp deck.

When my group was really into GoT lcg people would find the old ccg cards because many "new" cards were just reprints of old sets. Prob not the case with Netrunner because of all the ruleset changes, but maybe? Andy?

Well, I haven't bought (old) Netrunner cards in quite some time (I did pick up a booster box about a year before the reprint/revamp was announced, but nothing since). I do have a collecting problem, which was part of the reason I finally got out of Magic (that and being completely broke in college). Sealed deck Netrunner was a lot of fun, an experience the new version won't really be able to match.

There are a number of cards that are extremely similar (and a few that are direct copies). At this point, what I think the old cards would be best for is giving an idea of what new cards will be coming out. I think you can find a roughly analogous card for pretty much everything that has been printed (other than the identities).

Costs have changed, some of the abilities are tweaked (strength of breakers/ICE, bits to use). Traces now being different get rid of some cards and require changes on ICE. Even the agendas are for the most part repeats of previous cards. The previous cards had no factions, and thus no out-of-faction cost. I prefer the old color scheme (purple for Corp, green for Runner) but that's probably just because it was what I was used to.

There are some cards that don't exist yet that I am hopeful eventually will (some are probably overpowered, others were just fun):

I Got A Rock

Schlaghund

Roving Submarine

Namotoki Plaza

Nevinyrral
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 757
Alright, 15 meat damage seems a little silly. I was worried about power creep as time went on...
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 449
Alright, 15 meat damage seems a little silly. I was worried about power creep as time went on...

Yeah, I think the main point of that card was that if you could set it up, you would win.

In the original game, meat damage was the easiest to prevent (and damage prevention in general was much better than the cards in this version). I Got A Rock was in the original set, though I don't recall it being in too many serious decks.

As an example of what used to exist for damage prevention, here was a base set uncommon:

Armored Fridge

Net and brain damage weren't as scary then either:

Force Shield

It looks like they're aiming to limit damage prevention so they don't need 15 damage cards again.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 761
Ordered a core and the second booster. The first is nowhere to be found. I think the third is dropping at the end of the week. No sleeves yet, but I DO have my eye on some deckboxes...
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 908
Hey cant you guys start your own "Netrunner Fanboys" thread so you can stop hijacking this one :p
Midge
Midge-TW
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 55
Thanks, Ryan. Somebody had to say it.