addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › September 5th Games

September 5th Games

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,095
This thread is for members to post what games they want to run next week and players looking to join those games. Monday at 7pm we'll post the game list for the week and that's when players should sign up. Late games may be added so you may want to check back before Wednesday.

Slot 1
Vinhos - Ryan - Filled - (Ryan, JP, Andy, Don)
Through the Ages - Joe - Filled - (Joe, AndrewL, Joel)
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 877
Id like to try out

Vinhos
up to 4 players
2-3 hrs

Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,773
I've become addicted to Through the Ages, so if anybody is interested, I'll run it.

Slots 1&2, up to three (works fine with two), 3+ hours

If nobody is interested, I'll bring a tub or hop into anything.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 147
Vinhos sounds fascinating but I don't think I can pass up a chance at TTA. One of my favorites and as I'm one of the only people that prefers it in person I don't want to miss this chance.
A former member
Post #: 7
I'll play through the ages. (If 2 is ideal I will go with vinhos). But my first pick is throught he ages.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 148
Have you happened to have played Through the Ages at all before?

I never dissuade someone from trying a game, I think it's one of the worst things about board game culture. Daunting games like Through the Ages or an 18xx or even something like Advanced Squad Leader can be very enjoyable to even casual gamers but are often made inaccessible due solely to the fact that another gamer talks someone out of trying the game, assuming it's not a good fit for them. Through the Ages comes with 3 styles of play; Simple, Advanced, and Full. It is not one where you want to jump into the Full game without understanding the basics (something explained in the simple version). Managing resources in the game is a wonderfully unique mechanic but it is likely the most unintuitive system in any game I've ever played.

If you aren't familiar with the game perhaps we could try the simple version first (would only take 90 minutes or so). Or I'd be happy to teach it if you can make it to BACSIM next weekend.

Again please don't take this as me suggesting you switch to something else, it's more that a full game as your introduction to Through the Ages would almost assuredly be a negative experience.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,864
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it this week. I've simply got too much work to do :(
Johnpatrick
user 7540224
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 53
Vinhos please: been wanting to try this one out for awhile.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 879

Again please don't take this as me suggesting you switch to something else, it's more that a full game as your introduction to Through the Ages would almost assuredly be a negative experience.

Yeah you probably want to do either a learning game with new players with the simple game or the full game with all people who know the game, Through the Ages is one of the most complex games out there. But its Joe's game its up to him what he wants to do.

Not that this Vinhos seems like any fluffy cupcake either tongue Man this board has a lot of boxes...

Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 880
Speaking of which I am open to other suggestions if people have other ideas or would like something lighter or whatever, people arent banging down the doors to play vinhos it looks like.

Then I wouldnt have to read the rules smile