The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › For those of you seriously interested in game design

For those of you seriously interested in game design

Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,205
There is a free online Game Theory course being offered by Stanford and UBC starting January 7th:
Game Theory

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind", game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call 'games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model eBay, Google keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and a few applications.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,206
Or maybe this has more to do with economic and political models than actual games. Game design isn't something my brain can get a handle on.

However, if you're like me and enjoy taking classes, I highly recommend coursera. They usually have about 100 different courses coming up.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,523
Thanks for the post Jenna. I'm definitely going to check this one out.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 183
If there was interest I would definitely participate in a meetup to share board game designs. I don't think it would make sense to replace a normal Wed. meetup since selfishly there are many games I want to try. But if we had a few people interested I would totally set aside a tues or thurs to playtest some games of our own design. Maybe even make it a quarterly meeting. Again I don't know how much interest there is, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,530
I didn't get a chance to try Ryan's game, but maybe he'd be willing to be the first guinea pig for this gaming session.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,153
Ryan needs to break out Ninjas of the Longhouse again. With the zombie expansion of course.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 905
I would like to get more involved in design and would be happy to get another playtest of Trading in the Mediterranean in either on a meetup night or an alternate session. I also would be interested to look at others' designs.
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 190
Sorry for the late reply. I am also very interested in game design and development. I've been designing and developing games, in some form or another, for years.

I used to do software development contract work for video games but stopped around 8 years ago. I have quite a few partially developed board and RP games that I'd like to get back to some day. So yeah, count me in on whatever. Lately I've been working on various player-aid/trick-out/kit-bashes for games I own (War of the Ring, Axis & Allies, Eclipse, Dreadball, etc.) and will need at least a month or two finish these projects.
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 718
On a side note, I will be able to produce much of the components you would need for a prototype at about cost of material in the near future. My makerspace is getting an upgrade.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 750
You can make...cubes?