The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Need for Speed series #2

Need for Speed series #2

Midge
Midge-TW
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 64
347 for Turfmaster -- too funny! That was a good game. You should have a disclaimer that your ranking may have been influenced by your loss.

Rodney, thanks for getting me coming back to Wednesday nights.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 474
347 for Turfmaster -- too funny! That was a good game. You should have a disclaimer that your ranking may have been influenced by your loss.

Rodney, thanks for getting me coming back to Wednesday nights.

While the ranking was probably influenced by the finish, even had I won Turfmaster it would have been last of the group. I'm glad other people enjoyed it, but the drawing through a deck of movement cards mechanic is not a favorite of mine (hence my disdain for Ave Caesar). It didn't feel to me like I was making any decisions for Turfmaster, you play what you're dealt. If you had your entire hand at the beginning so everyone was playing with the same cards and having to manage them, it wouldn't be as bad for me, but I would guess most people would object to that change.

Jamaica has a somewhat similar thing, but you're not solely moving with cards, they have other purposes, so it doesn't bother me as much. It also helps that I can play 3 games of Jamaica in the time it took for one playing of Turfmaster.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,588
I definitely think Turfmaster would be better with less players. I felt like my horse was on rails for the second two races and that pretty much anything I did wasn't going to change my outcome. This might have been done on purpose because it mirrors actual horse racing, but it kind of sucked the fun out of it for me. Too much simulation IMO.

I've always thought Jamaica was fun, albeit very random. Viva Pamplona was pretty good, maybe a little too simple, but it's an older game. I enjoyed around the world, even though my elephant was ripped away from me unjustly! Canyon was solid, but I do think I'd remove the one horrible bottleneck in the board. I think my ranking would come out like this:

1. Jamaica
2. Around the World in 80 Days
3. Canyon
4. Viva Pamplona
5. Turfmaster