The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › April 3rd Games

April 3rd Games

Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,020
At the back of the rules it states you can simply lower the winning conditions from 2000 credits to 1000 to shorten the length of the game. 1000 credits should take 90 min.

Although I'm still not 100% sure I'll be able to get through the entire rulebook by tomorrow. I've got to go back out to Angola now :(
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 259
Don't worry about it Rodney, we can always play something else and play MoV some other time.
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 917
Id call BS on that 90 min for 1000 credits.

The game ramps up and it takes a lot longer to get from 0 to 1000 then it takes to get from 1000 to 2000

Plus with all the setup and rules. Not to mention I would think that it would be frustrating to feel like you were just getting your engine started and have someone win the game, all the factories and spaceports would be pretty useless. It would certainly be a different game, I would recommend playing to 2000 but that's just my opinion.

Its sort of like playing dominant species with the half of the event deck, or the "beginner" version of Through the Ages, you can do it but it feels like you are playing half a game.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 471
Id call BS on that 90 min for 1000 credits.

The game ramps up and it takes a lot longer to get from 0 to 1000 then it takes to get from 1000 to 2000

Plus with all the setup and rules. Not to mention I would think that it would be frustrating to feel like you were just getting your engine started and have someone win the game, all the factories and spaceports would be pretty useless. It would certainly be a different game, I would recommend playing to 2000 but that's just my opinion.

Its sort of like playing dominant species with the half of the event deck, or the "beginner" version of Through the Ages, you can do it but it feels like you are playing half a game.

I agree with Ryan, if you're going to spend all the time to set up Merchant of Venus, you won't be happy stopping at 1000 credits. Ryan's similes relating to Dominant Species and Through the Ages seem spot on.
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 260
Thanks for the info guys. I'm with you, I'd rather play the intended way. I can play the full distance tonight but don't want to impose on others to stay for a full game. In short, I'm down for anything, .... other than Talisman or Relic!
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 786
Thanks for the info guys. I'm with you, I'd rather play the intended way. I can play the full distance tonight but don't want to impose on others to stay for a full game. In short, I'm down for anything, .... other than Talisman or Relic!

Isn't Runebound pretty close to Talisman?

Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 261

Isn't Runebound pretty close to Talisman?

I've only played Talisman so I do not know.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,021
I did manage to get through the rules. I'll have it with me as well as a few other titles and we can decide then what we want to play.