align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Need advice on which boardgame to get next.

Need advice on which boardgame to get next.

Amakusa42
Amakusa42
North Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 16
I am torn between the cool Pandemic or the awesome Power Station. Could also be Sentinels of the Multiverse or Red November. Also, any suggestions would be welcome.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 787
I am torn between the cool Pandemic or the awesome Power Station. Could also be Sentinels of the Multiverse or Red November. Also, any suggestions would be welcome.

Do you mean Power Grid?
Amakusa42
Amakusa42
North Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 17
yes, sorry. power Grid. Played it on intl tabletop day.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,024
I heard the new version of Pandemic has production issues. Including a misprinted board.
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 472

One thing I recommend considering is the type(s) of group(s) you plan on playing with. Do you think you'll be the main person bringing games, or will you be gaming with people with large collections? Will you be teaching the games? What is the skill/interest level of your typical opponents?

Pandemic is good for non-gamers and gamers, and not too tough to teach. I would guess there are a lot of copies in the area, so depending on the group, your copy may remain in the shrinkwrap even if you're playing the game regularly.

Power Grid is the meatiest, and will be the toughest of the 4 to find opponents for among non-gamers, while there is a good chance the established gamers who are easier to convince to play it may have a copy. While not all that difficult to pick up how the game works, learning the game from the rulebook is not easy. If you're not going to be playing many co-ops, and want a good brain burner, Power Grid is a great game.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: This is a guess, but this is likely to be the game on your list with the fewest copies in the area (mostly due to its relative newness). Like Pandemic and Red November, it's a pretty accessible co-op.

Red November: I'll let others give thoughts on this one as I seem to be in the minority and don't care for it at all.

One other thing to think about, are you a completionist? Will you feel a need to get all of the expansions for a game you buy? If so, Red November and Pandemic have the least (0 and 1), while Sentinels and Power Grid will probably keep you buying and/or promo hunting for awhile.

EDIT:

If you're not familiar with it, a site that has reviews of games from a generally more casual crowd than BGG is boardgaming.com, which may be able to give a wide range of thoughts on the games. You can sort reviews by gamer types (Family, Casual, Social, Avid, Strategy, and Power). I think they're out of their beta where you need an invite to join, but should you want/need one, you can go through this link:

http://boardgaming.co...­
Amakusa42
Amakusa42
North Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 18
One thing I recommend considering is the type(s) of group(s) you plan on playing with. Do you think you'll be the main person bringing games, or will you be gaming with people with large collections? Will you be teaching the games? What is the skill/interest level of your typical opponents?

Pandemic is good for non-gamers and gamers, and not too tough to teach. I would guess there are a lot of copies in the area, so depending on the group, your copy may remain in the shrinkwrap even if you're playing the game regularly.

Power Grid is the meatiest, and will be the toughest of the 4 to find opponents for among non-gamers, while there is a good chance the established gamers who are easier to convince to play it may have a copy. While not all that difficult to pick up how the game works, learning the game from the rulebook is not easy. If you're not going to be playing many co-ops, and want a good brain burner, Power Grid is a great game.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: This is a guess, but this is likely to be the game on your list with the fewest copies in the area (mostly due to its relative newness). Like Pandemic and Red November, it's a pretty accessible co-op.

Red November: I'll let others give thoughts on this one as I seem to be in the minority and don't care for it at all.

One other thing to think about, are you a completionist? Will you feel a need to get all of the expansions for a game you buy? If so, Red November and Pandemic have the least (0 and 1), while Sentinels and Power Grid will probably keep you buying and/or promo hunting for awhile.

EDIT:

If you're not familiar with it, a site that has reviews of games from a generally more casual crowd than BGG is boardgaming.com, which may be able to give a wide range of thoughts on the games. You can sort reviews by gamer types (Family, Casual, Social, Avid, Strategy, and Power). I think they're out of their beta where you need an invite to join, but should you want/need one, you can go through this link:

http://boardgaming.co...­

I am familiar. Read it a lot, but since I joined this group I figured I would ask the people here. I will mostly be playing with people in this group, and I know this group tends to favor Eurogames. Personally, I just like games that are fun. I played the first two, but the last two look awesome. I am also open to ideas form anyone, as I just started my boardgame collection.
Grant L.
ladue
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,032
Well then, you should also consider whether you *need* to buy any of the games! No, I don't mean whether you should consider if you have a Rodney-like collecting disease, but rather: Will the games be available anyways if you don't buy them?

For example, I would normally recommend Power Grid all over the place. If you're coming to BACSIM though, there is guaranteed to be *at least* one copy there (mine), and probably several.

The question becomes, *why* do you want to buy them? Are you looking for new/different games? If so, I would look at the most recent games. Are you looking to own copies of games that you like or get played a lot? If so, I'd just come and play for a while and see what shows up on the table.
Amakusa42
Amakusa42
North Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 19
Well, I am starting a collection of my own. I want to get the best stuff for those times I am not with the BBG. I do a lot of research into whats good, and I am trying to fill in the holes in my collection. I used to have a CATAN and Ticket to ride, but not anymore, unfortunately (ex-gf, long story). Now I am rebuilding my collection and looking to get advice on whats next.
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 739
I would definitely suggest waiting and playing a few more games before picking any up.
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 788
I would definitely suggest waiting and playing a few more games before picking any up.

+1