The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › New games I got to try last week

New games I got to try last week

Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,241
I'd say that I'll do a brief review on all of them, but that's not going to happen, so instead I'll list what I got to try and if anyone is interested in hearing more about any of them, then I'll post something. I can't keep track of what you all have played without me recently, so some of these might not be new to the group.

And I did break my no game buying pledge, but I'm getting right back on the wagon.

Rialto
Augustus
Black Spy (got a free copy)
the 1970's version of Arkham Horror
Rampage (prototype)
London
Kings of Air and Steam
Cabo (which I ended up buying)
Home Stretch (also bought)
Francis Drake (prototype, currently on kickstarter)
TTR: Africa
Coup
Myrmes
Cinque Terre
La Boca
Le Petit Pucer
The Little Prince
Clubs
Qwixx
Dice Devils
Monster Factory
Pick a Pig
Attraction

My favorites were the two I bought, Qwixx, La Boca, Francis Drake and Augustus.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,033
Interested in hearing about your favorites as well as Rialto.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,592
All last week!! Wow!
Bob T.
user 2281115
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 142
the 1970's version of Arkham Horror

kewl
Johnpatrick
user 7540224
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 133
La Boca looks really neat and different and is on my radar for purchase; I'd definitely love to hear your initial impressions.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,244
Rialto was not a bad game by any means, but it wasn't anything new either. It'a an area control that's played over 6(?) rounds, scoring each island once at the end. Every round sets of 6 cards are dealt face up, with a set for each player +1, and you pick a set plus two face down cards and then discard down to 7. You might also have cards left over from your previous hand.

Each type of card is resolved in turn, with whoever played the most getting a special benefit. There are a couple of different ways to get guys on the islands, and a couple of ways to affect the points that each island is worth.

There isn't anything groundbreaking about the game. You might have wild cards that let you decide which area you'd like to try for majority that turn, but a lot of it depends on which cards are available that round.

I was going to throw in more details, but now I'm not sure if I'm attributing them to the right game. I played this one on the first day, so it's getting a little blurry.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,245
La Boca is much more of a puzzle then a game. If you don't enjoy the puzzle, there would be no point in playing. At the beginning of the game, you get one marker from each of the other players, and on your turn you flip one over to see who you're playing with that round, so by the end of the game you've played with everyone twice. You both get the same score for the round, which is based on how quickly you've solved the puzzle.

There was some talk about tanking a round because the person you're playing with has a higher score than you, but you'd end up with the same bad score for that round, and it would depend on whether either of you had any rounds left, but no one in our game ever actually did this, and I'm not sure it would be much fun if people were actually that worried about it.

I only played on the harder level, which was quite challenging. I'd say about a quarter of our attempts ended up scoring no points because we went past the two minute mark.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,246
Francis Drake is a pirate-y game that's played over three rounds. Every round you go along a track at the top to supply your ship. It's got an Egizia-type mechanic where once you go past someplace on the track you can't go back to it. You can get crew, guns, trade markers, barrels, and a few special roles.

Once everyone is through the track you put your markers, numbered 1-4, face down on where your ship plans to sail that turn. If you have trade markers you can try to get the trade goods you need to complete a set, if you have guns you can attack the armada, if you have crew you can attack the towns, and if you have guns and crew you can attack the forts.

When everyone has their markers down, they're flipped over and turn order is established. Only two people get to do any area's action. The first player to successfully attack an area gets the VP plus a gold, silver or jewel to put in their treasure box, which is scored at the end of the game. The second player would only get VP. Attacking is just spending the crew or guns to meet the numbers that area has, but the armada and forts have face down tiles that add 0, 1, or 2 guns or crew to an area, which you don't flip over until someone tries to attack that spot.. You get bonus points at the end of each of the three rounds for attacking different types of areas. At the end of the round everything clears off of your ship except trade goods.

I liked both halves of the game, trying to decide whether to skip entire sections to be first at the best spots on the ship track, or stay in the back and collect a little bit of everything, and then trying to figure out how best to use the resources you have to get points, and where other people would put their higher markers to beat you to the bonus stones. The ship track at the top is randomized for the second two rounds, so you don't fall into a rut of what you collect, which I think is important. Plays in about 90 minutes (except for my first game, which was 3 hours, but I knew it wasn't the game's fault).
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 478
Any thoughts on whether Clubs is different enough from other trick taking games to be worth getting?
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 211
Francis Drake sounds and looks way too good to be a Kickstarter. I'm eager to check that one out, thanks for posting the reviews!