The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › New games I got to try last week

New games I got to try last week

Grant L.
ladue
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,037
How was Kings of Air and Steam?
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,034
Any thoughts on whether Clubs is different enough from other trick taking games to be worth getting?

I have Clubs and played it last week. It's a real simplified version of Tichu that allows single player versus teams. I'll have it with me tomorrow if you want to give it a try. Plays in 30 min.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,247
Yeah, Clubs was specifically designed to be an introductory climbing game, to ease people into Tichu. As someone who has played Tichu, I found it overly simple, but if you haven't played any climbing games, I can see how it would be different enough to be fun.
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,254
Sorry, forgot about this. Kings of Air and Steam is a pick up and deliver game, with the twist that you have to use both airships and trains on each delivery. Only the airships can pick up the goods, but then you have to take it to your train to deliver it.

There are 5(?) turns each round. At the beginning of the round everyone puts down movement cards for all 5 turns, Roborally style, though it's only number of spaces moved, so you can keep your target a little more fluid. After each movement you get one action, such as upgrading your airship to carry more goods, upgrading your train to pass through more cities, or buying another section of track. If I remember correctly picking up goods is free at the beginning of your turn, but delivering them is your action.

The worth and availability of the different goods changes based on cards that are flipped up at the start of each round. Each good can only be picked up at specified locations on the map.

The paper money is the most beautiful money I've ever seen.

The airships, while awesome pieces, are slightly too big for the board. The spaces are hexagonal, and your airship can only turn one side around on each movement, unless you take a penalty to turn more. Luckily, my captain was the one that broke that rule, because keeping track of that would have driven me insane.

Overall I thought it was a decent game with nice components. I only played it two player, and it came in at a decent play time, but I think it would have overstayed it's welcome at 4 players.