add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Spiel Des Jahres nominees?

Spiel Des Jahres nominees?

Elma, NY
Post #: 2,050
Sunday I got to play both La Boca & Augustus with my family. I'm predicting both of these titles will be nominated for this years Spiel Des Jahres awards.

I'll have both of these titles with me over the next several weeks if anyone is interested in giving them a try. Simple rules, quick playing, family style of games
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 485
I tried them both this weekend as well (not with your family though) and had similar thoughts.

I really liked La Boca, and Augustus seems to be exactly what the Spiel des Jahres is about. I liked the description of Augustus being like playing BINGO, but there's more to it than that.

Denise was a big fan of Augustus, she particularly liked that if you weren't really into gaming you could still easily play, have fun, and still have a bit of tension of whether your symbols would come up. Then, more advanced gamers could try to optimize their card choices and compete against each other.

I originally thought Escape: The Curse of the Temple would win Game of the Year, but I think Augustus may have leap-frogged it in my mind. I didn't get to try La Boca with the red piece, and would like to some time to get a better feel of where it stands for me (the game without the red piece seemed too easy to me).

Both La Boca and Augustus are now on my list to get when I see them available.

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, on the other hand, did not go as well.
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,051
An easily overlooked rule in La Boca is that EVERY piece must be used even if it does not show up on either side of the card. In other words you must hide the missing piece from sight. This simple addition does make certain cards a bit more difficult to complete as I found out with my family.

I do agree that Escape will be a nominee as well.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 224
Didn't you mention Africana a while back as having potential? Does that still make the cut or has it been edged out?
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,052
Yes I did, but I think these others are more family friendly and have a better chance than Africana.
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 486
From the meaningless statistics department:

44% (15 of 34) of Spiel des Jahres winners have one-word titles. Over the last 15 years, this has increased to 73% (11 of 15). A quick look through the nominations seem to be heavily skewed towards one-word titles (on the extreme was 2009 where all 5 nominees had one-word titles).

For what it's worth, 29 of the top 100 games on BGG have one-word titles (insert typical disclaimer that I'm not a big follower of BGG rankings, but wanted a quick estimate of how many games have one-word titles in general).

The last time games with multi-word titles won in back-to-back years was 1996/1997 (El Grande and Mississippi Queen). The 2012 winner was Kingdom Builder.

Thus, research conclusively shows (at least what would pass for "research" and "conclusions" in a political debate these days) that La Boca and Escape: The Curse of the Temple won't win due to name bias.

At least they're still fun to play!
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,053
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,218
Andy's statistics pay out! All the nominees have one-word titles this year so we will once again not see two multi-word winners back to back. Now, Andy, turn that analytic mind towards something more useful like predicting the stock market....or creating the ultimate taco recipe.
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 488
Hmm... I wonder what the stock market equivalent of "one-word titles" is. I'll look into that.

I had been hoping Hanabi would be on the list, but couldn't convince myself it was a Spiel des Jahres style game. It's probably my favorite new design that I've played in the last year.

I'm not familiar with Qwixx.

Augustus "feels" like a Spiel des Jahres winner to me. While I'll be rooting for Hanabi, I'll be expecting Augustus to win.
user 9349172
East Aurora, NY
Post #: 291
Maybe we can convince Ryan to change the name of his game from "Trading in the Mediterreneneiina" to ......