The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › July 3rd Games

July 3rd Games

Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 316
Are those books worth reading? I'm looking for some good audio books for the long(er) work commute from our house.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 2,086
How much interest is there in World without End? I can bring my copy and we can have two tables going at the same time if need be.
Midge
Midge-TW
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 85
Are those books worth reading? I'm looking for some good audio books for the long(er) work commute from our house.
Paul, what do you like to read?
Joe
GoSabres
Eden, NY
Post #: 1,826
Pillars was a decent book. I thought the first 3/4ths of the book was entertaining, the last 1/4th dragged and was little boring.
Paul
user 9349172
Depew, NY
Post #: 317
Paul, what do you like to read?
My two favorite authors are, no surprises, George RR Martin and Tolkien. I love the Song of Ice & Fire series. I couldn't make it through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and I gave up mid-way through the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

I also like to read history books. cool
Ryan
Twonky
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 937
I really enjoyed the Follett books and they are very good audio book productions.

For Historical Fiction I recommend anything by Edward Rutherfurd, though they will take you an age to finish...

New Fantasy books Ive gotten into which I can recommend; (There is so much crap fantasy) I really enjoyed the Kingkiller Chronicles (Though the audio book reader for this one was horrific he almost put me off it) I also after reading The Way of Kings have been entertained by Brandon Sanderson's work. I picked up Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and have been having a good time with it.

The other audio book series I had fun with was the wizard detective harry dresden. "The Dresden Files" Mix your average fantasy book and your average mystery paperback put them in a blender and get above average results. The reader for this on audio does a really great job of capturing the wizard noir feel. :)

None of these are high literature but very entertaining summer page turners.

Jared
user 2417903
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 137
I recommend Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses. Not medieval themed fantasy, also not particularly new, so I don't know if that invalidates the recommendation or not. Not the best, certainly. Also, not nearly the worst.

Reviews can be found here and here.
Midge
Midge-TW
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 86
Don't know why I thought of this book:
http://www.amazon.com...­

or this one that I suggested to Mark:
http://www.amazon.com...­
A former member
Post #: 6
I would like to play World Without End..
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,632
Rodney, I would give world without end a go.