Mid-South Board Gaming Club Message Board › Game Over!

Game Over!

John R.
WarhammerII
Springboro, OH
I wanted to take a few minutes to give everyone the heads up that I have taken a job with a company in the Dayton/Cincinnati, OH area.  Next weekend I will be heading up to take my new position while Sabrina and the kids will remain in the area until they are done with the school year.

The most obvious change is that after this upcoming Wednesday, I will no longer host Wednesday night gaming.  Will Griffith and Clayton will alternate hosting Wednesday night gaming.  Meetup will send out reminders prior to the event regarding who is hosting each Wednesday.

I will be attending TIF - Board Game Style tonight, Wednesday night gaming next week, and most likely Three Guys next Saturday.  I will attempt to make Tuesday night gaming, but I am not sure of whether or not I will make it.

Clayton will be taking over the organizer role here, so any questions I am pointing in his direction from now on.

A few last thoughts for you as someone who has tried to grow this community for the last 10 years:

1)  Always keep some gaming events in public venues, it is very difficult for new people to make a first appearance at someone's house.  Please continue to support these event and attend them.

2)  Please always make people feel welcome and do not kick someone out of the group.  We all have our foibles and idiosyncracies, they are what make us who we are.  That said, please show consideration to your fellow gamers.  Don't take too much time on your turns and don't try and go three moves back, it makes all of us happier and the games more enjoyable.

3)  Always be welcoming to new people.  It takes quite a bit of gumption for some people to attend an event for the first time.  Always make people feel welcome, our little community is too small to alienate someone when they give us a chance because we are too focused on playing games with our little group.  Introduce them to others, and recommend games you may not like, but are right up their alley.

4)  Always make sure people are aware of all gaming opportunities, people may be able to make it to a Saturday or a Tuesday once, but their best night might be Friday or Wednesday or Thursday, etc. They may not like the particular make up of the typical Wednesday night group, but Thursday is right up their alley, etc.  The more gamers in the community, the more opportunities we have to play, and there is a partner for each of us in this community, even if a particular person is not the gaming partner for you.

Not trying to get up on a soapbox or anything, but having been a part of the initial 3 person group that said "Hey, there's got to be more people in Memphis who like games like this!" 8 years ago in Joe Busby's foyer where he lived 2 houses ago, to now where we have almost 150 people on meetup and probably close to 60 regulars I feel we have come a long way and wanted to share some of the thoughts people have expressed to me over the years.