James H.
Jimmiekeyes
Group Organizer
Tavernier, FL
Everyone,
Hello all, We organized this book club hoping to reach a group of secular humanists whose interests were more on the intellectual side than the social.
Now -- everyone who is a member of the parent meetup: Don't get all bent out of shape because I said you weren't "intellectual" I didn't say that!! We seem to have reached a group of new Secular Humanists though and that was our aim.

You all have been bombarded by the Meetup's AUTOMATIC insistence on setting a meetup for this month. It isn't coming from us its the dang software that is doing it.
Our first meetup can't be called a great success. One person, Tara, attended. I couldn't make it because of the Hurricane threats facing us having to travel from the Keys. But it is fair to say that with the number of persons who joined us so quickly there is a serious demand for this in South Florida. That is if you - our members - show up when you sign up.

Now we must organize so the club has a committee that recommends the books we select to read, we need to decide whether we meet every month once every two months or quarterly. And we need to select a venue that is one all of us like. Given these objectives I've put up a poll regarding the number of meetings we want - monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly. We've put up a request for volunteers for the book committee. Finally we are asking for recommendations for the venue.

If there is no objection to the choice of the Coral Gables Cafe Demetrio we will use it for our next event. Tara was there and I'll check with her to be sure its OK. Please feel free to email me with your ideas. And go to the meetup home page, vote in the poll, volunteer or offer the name of a book we should read, and suggest a venue.

For our next book unless you want a different one I recommend "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama. I'll set the meetup at Cafe Demetrio on Saturday, October 18th at 1 PM all subject to change by the majority.

Jim Hurley