addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Miami Secular Humanists Book Club Meetup Message Board › Tara's Sam Harris meetup

Tara's Sam Harris meetup

Matt
user 2993061
Miami, FL
Post #: 26
In reference to the "Sam Harris/Moral Landscape" meetup, I just bought this book on iTunes. The TED video is excellent, see http://www.ted.com/ta...­.

I did note, however, that Harris suggests religions got their concepts of a unified moral system from strictly supernatural sources (beliefs about revelation). Although this is at the heart of fundamental problems with religiously-based morality, the actual belief that all morality is derived exclusively from revelation actually I think is descriptive more of the fringe of religious thinkers. Falling back on revelation may be the default directionality of religious thinking, but religious systems are of course far more complex than that. Recognizing how throughout history religions actually have managed to take over responsibility for philosophic and scientific inquiry and instruction is important to countering the more powerfully adverse effects of religious ideology.