add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Great Escape Book Club Message Board › Carol's Message

Carol's Message

A former member

Carol posted the following on Facebook.  I wanted to make sure her message went out on Meetup.

Carol Young

2:12pm Oct 6

Hello Ladies: I'm writing you via Facebook because I couldn't figure out how to send a message to more than one person via the meet-up site and I don't have all your e-mail addresses.

Anyway, I believe the time has come to shake up the Saturday edition of the Great Escape Book Club. Taking time off in the summer sounded like a good idea, but the result has been that people are either not signing up for the discussion or canceling at the last minute. Case in point was today for the “Hummingbird House”. 5 had signed up. By this morning, we were down to 3. And only 2 of those who RSVP’d did come. Kelly didn’t rsvp, but showed up, bringing our grand total to 4, including me. But we had a good discussion – not a whole lot of it about the book (which no one liked and I didn’t even read).

It seems the organization of the Saturday chapter has fallen to me in recent months. During the summer, I had some time so it wasn’t a problem. But I really don’t want this responsibility. I don’t think Fran and/or I can keep it going by ourselves. Fran is very busy (I do hope that’s why I haven’t heard from her of late. Is all okay, Fran?) and I’m delighted for her as she follows her passion with the artists’ gallery. I’m busy with my own stuff – currently, I’m involved in 2 choirs, take courses at Phoenix College, am a CASA volunteer in the foster care system and belong to another book club and really can’t pick up the slack any longer. Time to find out if other members want to. We discussed this today and none of the 3 want to see Saturday dropped. So we decided that it would continue, with the understanding that whoever shows up talks about the book. If there is a discussion leader, fine. If not, fine and the meeting goes on. That way if neither Fran nor I can make it, the meet-up doesn’t collapse.

Since the discussion turned to books we like and/or would like to read, we also decided to change the direction of this section and incorporate more of the “classics” – “more” as in every other month. So for example, the new list of books for 2013 would be as follows:

January: Old Man & the Sea – Ernest Hemingway, 96 pages. Short to prevent overload during the December holidays, but makes a statement re: how the Saturday club will change during 2013

February: A Discovery of Witches – a nice vampire story for Valentine’s Day

March: Tess of the D’Ubervilles – Thomas Hardy

April: Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery, 325 pages

May: Here on Earth – Alice Hoffman – 336 pages

June: Farenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury - 238 pages

July & August – to be determined. Perhaps some light summer reading while people plow through the September book - lol

September: Crime & Punishment – Dostoyevsky. No comment. A gamble, to be sure, but let’s see what happens.

I would like to send out an e-mail to the members outlining what I’ve said here and seeing if there what the interest is for the other members and who would step up to be discussion leader periodically.

We do have November and December books scheduled, but frankly, I’m not sure I can make November’s meeting – I have a school paper due on the following Tuesday -- and I’m about 90% sure I can’t make December either. So something must change somewhere. Don’t want to speak for Fran, but as I said earlier, I don’t think she & I can keep this section of the book club going.

Thoughts, please? I want to send out the e-mail ASAP to see what reaction is out there.