The Great Escape Book Club Message Board › Book Clubbers - Please read and respond.

Book Clubbers - Please read and respond.

A former member
Hello fellow readers!!! We've only got three more meetings until we have no more books. I would like each of you to send me three titles (with authors please) that you think would be not only a great read, but that will generate a good discussion. Also send me the title of one classic book that again is good but will generate a good discussion.

Keep in mind one thing - most of our readers prefer a book that is around 300 pages due to time constraints. However, we have taken very large books (800-1,000 pages long) and carried them over two months. We could also split a large book into two meetings, discussing half at each meeting. So don't be shy about submitting a large book.

The sooner I can compile a list, research reviews, and send out a list to vote on, the sooner we'll have our calendar full again. Please contribute - I like our choices to be democratic.

I hope you're ll enjoying The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and found it to be very enlightening. Plus (semi-spoiler alert), after you're around 80% finished reading, it goes into timelines, research notes, and acknowledgements. So it's actually quite a short list.

Looking forward to seeing you all there on the 15th of April!! - don't forget to RSVP!!

Sharon
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello. I'm also new to the club and am not really sure what everyone likes to read but after browsing at some of the past meetups, I noticed that "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn was on the list, I'd like to suggest her other titles such as "Sharp Objects" or "Dark Places".
Other suggestions are:
"The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain
"Death comes to Pemberly" by P.D. James
"Tenth of December" by George Saunders
"The Twelve Tribes of Hattie" by Ayana Mathis
"Wonder" by R J Palacio
As for classics, since "The Great Gatsby" will be out in theatres soon, I think that will be a good pick.
Also, anything by Jane Austen.
Hope this helps and I will see you all in April.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi! I am new to the club, but would be interested in:
"A Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick (The movie was excellent and I would like to read the book)
"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen (The movie was good and I would like to read the book)
"Life of PI" by Yann Martel (The movie was excellent and I would like to read the book)