a ne{o}lit book club Message Board › Book Club Changing Again........

Book Club Changing Again........

Calvin R.
cvan3064
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Well that was a nice little vacation-But I guess I'm more or less back after just two months.

Anyway, as a handful of you knew I had a lot of work issues that two months ago reached the point that continuing to attend Book Club on any regular basis was going to impossibility-In fact I thought I was going to be transferred out of the state for awhile if I wanted to keep my job.

Well, I decided it wasnt worth it and we came to an understanding yesterday which involved some handshakes and me leaving-sort of gratifying though they spent a half n hour trying to convince me to say. (Im not crazy I accepted a very nice offer from another company and start Monday-and Ill be working about 12 hours less a week and making my own schedule).

So, while I didnt rejoin a few other groups or organizations I left back when things just go too much, I did decide to come back to book club.

I should have listened to Dave, he tried to talk me into just letting him run it for a few months and give me some time off to see how things fell at work-but I figured it was like a band aid-rip it off quick and be done with it.

Truth be told I was a little burnt out and not really happy with a few things in book club. So there will be a few changes.

1) I think over the last year we had drifted to much into some "easy" books-I liked that for the longest time this book club tackled substantial books-we'll be getting back to that. Im not saying there wont be "fun books" now and again-just that we'll be going back to tackling some thought provoking work.

2) Ill probably go back to choosing the book myself a bit more often-or let someone else choose it.

3) Id like to have to occasional guest organizer. So, if you are an established member who wants to mediate a meeting about a book you want to share, or just read-let me know.  In private if possible. As some of you know I'll also most likely be moving about an hour south of here this summer-so it makes it a little easier on me as well.

That said, Aram will be our first guest-we'll be reading one of his beloved McCarthy novels in July.  Look for us to post the next 3-4 books in the next few days. A recent Marilyn Robinson novel (and as she has only written 3 in roughly 30 years and we've read two you can figure this out if you want to) and then we'll reach back to something a bit more "classic"-Im thinking Nathanael West.

Big thanks to Dave for giving me a few months to take care of things.

Glad to be back, hope you all will feel the same.

Calvin