addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Scottsdale Book Club Meetup Group Message Board › Newsletter for July 10, 2010

Newsletter for July 10, 2010

stephany
AZStephany
Group Organizer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 526
Newsletter!

We had a very cerebral discussion last Friday night. I wish I could say I picked a very upbeat book to discuss, "Darkness at Noon." However, we were instead forced to confront the inevitable evil of organizations and well... anything, as well as certain hopelessness, the futility of being proactive, and the dangers of bear attacks.

It sounds like a typical bookclub meetup, neh? But NAY, it was not... and this is why....
I walked into the store thinking, “Wow, this parking lot is packed with gabillions of people to see ME.” No, I didn’t really think that… I could have maybe thought that. I was instead wondering why Barnes and Noble was suddenly a big draw on a Friday night. It turns out Yankee baseball sensation Bernie Williams was doing a book signing at that very time, in that very place. Had we heard there was some mysterious event scheduled contemporaneously with our book discussion at Barnes and Noble? Yes. Yes we did. Did we assume it was just a couple of people quilting or talking about metaphysical healing? Yes. Yes we did. Did we still ask that a table be set up for the Scottsdale Book Club? Yes. Yes we did. Did they say they would set up a table for us? Yes. Yes they did. Did they set up tables for us? No. No they did not. It turns out people care more about baseball stars than a book discussion on the terrors of Stalin. We had to move two café tables together BY OURSELVES. That’s what I said, “BY OURSELVES.” I think I pulled a muscle in one of my fingers – either that or I was wagging my finger too enthusiastically at one of the Lauras.
But one of the highlights of the evening unraveled like this…

There was a young lady who arrived without care
And though ten minutes late she slipped into her chair
From America South
With her foot in her mouth
She thoughtlessly brought up “the bear.”

OK—not my best, but feel free to provide your alternatives in the reply section.

ANYWAY, the evening’s conversation with nine members went something like this:
“This book is dated.”
“This book is not dated, its principles are still relevant.”
“OK, that’s true, especially if you think about Corporations.”
“But fighting the MAN is futile, especially if you are a nation run by puppet leaders controlled by the United States.”
“Fighting the MAN is definitely not futile! It can make a difference!”
"I'm not even supposed to be here."
“But we’re too old to have the energy.”
“We have to stand up and fight!”
“But TOM once said something about not sweating it because what happens was going to happen inevitably due to non spiritual forces beyond our control.”
“Who’s TOM?”
“This guy who sometimes comes. We saw him at a movie.”
“Well I think TOM is wrong.”

It was a great discussion, even if you had to be there – which Tom wasn’t and probably should have been to avoid being misquoted.

Here’s the Attention Deficit Disorder Newsletter Summary for those who found the above a bit too tedious to read:

Fighting BERNIE WILLIAMS is futile
Think first, talk about bears later.
Tom is wrong.

Margie
mirage1210
Peoria, AZ
Post #: 210
I am very sorry I missed it, if only to have been able to help push tables together.

Also, I am not sure Tom is ever wrong?
Tom
user 7756919
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 7
By missing the meeting, I learned that my words have an afterlife. Misquote me egregiously and often, but please do keep me circulating.

Sincerely,
That guy who sometimes shows up
Laura
user 7294043
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 11
For no particular reason, I must recommend to those attending book meetings not to be late. If fate makes you late despite leaving the house really early, just sit quietly and smile contentedly. I can’t bear the thought of an unsuspecting attendee being the target of shocked and reproachful stares, like some character in a Kafka novel who doesn’t know what she is being accused of. That said, I seem to remember that Tom wasn’t right, but I’m not sure about what. A thoroughly enjoyable meeting.