Scottsdale Book Club Meetup Group Message Board › An additional location/meeting time for our Meetups: PLEASE RESPOND!

An additional location/meeting time for our Meetups: PLEASE RESPOND!

stephany
AZStephany
Group Organizer
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 527
Hi Folks,

The good news or the bad news first? Ok, the good news is I found another location where we can hold some of our meetings though we will still be meeting at the Barnes and Noble in Scottsdale much of the time. The other good news is that this location is Barnes and Noble at Desert Ridge and they have a fabulous set up for bookclubs which they reserve. Ok --- here's the bad news.... and I'm virtually ducking right now so as not to be virtually hit by your laptop or keyboard (because it would still virtually hurt)... all they have available are Monday nights -- the first Monday night of every month. But some of you did ask for a non-weekend night...right? Our first meeting there will be Monday, August 1 and we will have a premature discussion of "36 Reasons for the Existence of God." The first third of the book is different than the rest (and the most interesting in a discuss-by-itself sort of way), so even if you haven't read any or all of it ...there are many philosophical issues to ponder amongst fellow readers. I believe it will be a very lively discussion. I won't reschedule any of the other meetups until I hear back from you. I want to make sure someone is actually going to be coming to the Monday night meetups before I scramble things up any more than I already have.

If you had planned on coming to the "36 Reasons" discussion on the Aug. 5th Friday night and now cannot come, I do apologize. However, because, for me, the book starts off as interesting and challenging and becomes less interesting and nearly inaccessible, I'm giving up at 1/2 way through the book. Nevertheless we can have a discussion on some of the initial ideas on August 1st and then tack on some more discussion of this book during other meetings, such as Banville's slim but compelling volume "The Book of Evidence."

OK--here we go. Please be gentle.

Your Fearful Leader,
Stephany

Andrew
Melyaket
Tempe, AZ
Post #: 32
Count me in!
bruce m.
user 8484544
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 1
Weekday nights are preferred. Desert Ridge is less convenient for me, although I'm sure it's more convenient for others. Que sera sera.
Tom
user 7756919
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 6
The positive side is that this development solves a persistent and lame calendar void...no groups ever schedule a Monday event. So now, there's Book Club. Fills the void and doesn't compete with anything. Except on August 1st, when it conflicts with London Globe Shakespeare Theatre's simulcast performance of Henry IV, ironically also at Desert Ridge. So I won't make the 36 Arguments discussion, but generally Mondays are welcome.
Margie
mirage1210
Peoria, AZ
Post #: 211
Mondays would be wonderful! Nothing keeping me away then.

This particular Monday I will be out of town, but that's a rare thing.
Kerry C.
user 4937409
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 6
I LOVE Friday nights. Not having to get up early the next morning makes it so much more enjoyable. I guess Monday is better than Wednesday, though. I will, of course, defer to the more regular attendees. And I do like the Desert Ridge location better. Too bad they're not available on Sunday mornings.
Laura A
user 9806793
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 4
It works for me, anytime Mon to Thu is very welcomed and that location is closer than shea.
My comment: Love it!
Fridays and Sundays are very difficult for me and I miss you guys dearly.
S R
user 2314034
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 973
I can do Mondays. I may have to leave a bit early, but that would be true of any night. (I get up rather early these days.)
A former member
Post #: 2
I welcome the news and do hope that this will work out for everyone.
Michelle B.
user 9472499
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 8
I am very happy with the Monday night routine, and thrilled with the Desert Ridge location, although the Scottsdale one works for me as well. Thanks, Stephany, for all your hard work. I'll see you all on the 1st!