The Glasgow Book Club Message Board › Walking Book Group

Walking Book Group

Mhairi
user 4187326
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 104
Inspired by a recent programme, Ramblings, on Radio4 about a book group that goes walking on Hampstead Heath (there is a clip on iplayer) I thought that now the weather is getting better (cue 5 months of rain!) it might be an idea to have some book group walks round Glasgow parks. This is not to replace the main meetup and will read a different book and be a mid-month weekend.

As The Heretics (by Will Stor, nominated by Eleanor) was voted last night but Eleanor can't make the next meeting, this will be our first walking book.

Please reply as to what time would suit you best at a weekend if you want to come along - and as we are outside there is no limit to attendees and you can walk in small groups and move among them, it won't be a formal discussion but more of a chat and walk.

Suggested times are:
Saturday morning (late! ie about 12ish), afternoon or late afternoon
Sunday morning, afternoon, or late afternoon.

There are loads of parks, feel free to add to this list:
Queens Park (southside, 44 bus from west end goes to Victoria Road main entrance of the park or 23 to the duckpond entrance)
Botanic Gardens/Kelvingrove
Pollock Park & Burrell Collection
Victoria Park
Glasgow Green
Rouken Glen Park

All the parks have tea rooms/snack bar although we may get some nice picnic days in the summer.

If there is enough interest, I suggest the first meeting will be the weekend of 23 or 24 March.

Happy wanderings!

Mhairi
Sue H
Twigbender
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 5
Saturday (late morning) would be good for me, or Sunday afternoon after 2pm (in case I'm on 'tea duty' after church). As it happens, I can't do Sat 23rd this time, but I could probably do Sun 24th pm. I'll hunt around at work for parks leaflets, but here's the link to the Parks bit of the website which has all the info we might need.... http://www.glasgow.go...­

Sue.
Michelle M.
user 56018462
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 1
Mhairi,
I think it's a great idea. I would be more likely to be available on Sunday afternoons than any of the other suggested times. I live centrally so can make to anywhere that can be reached easily by public transport.
Michelle
Eleanor
user 7709674
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 69
Any of the suggested times would suit me. I don't know whether 23 / 24 March might be too soon to allow for people to get hold of and read the book however... 24 is also hubby's birthday, but seeing as he's night shift that day I might be able to get away with not really seeing him...
A former member
Post #: 1
I think that this is a great idea and am all for it. Unfortunately I would be unable to attend the March meeting. Sunday afternoon would definately be my choice.
David W.
user 19213401
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 29
I think this is a great idea. Thanks Mhairi!

In general, Sunday afternoons are best for me.

David
David W.
user 19213401
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 30
btw - The Heretics is only out in Hardback dead-tree form at the moment, although it's much much cheaper as an ebook.

David
Mhairi
user 4187326
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 105
Hello folks, sorry it has taken me an age to reply!

I think if The Heretics is only in hardback we should maybe select another book so nominations welcome.

Given that it is now the middle of March i suggest we have the first meeting on Sunday 21 April - I know this is past the middle of the month but the main book group isn't until the 8 April so that would be a couple of weeks between the two.

Sunday afternoon seems to be the day that suits people the best so I suggest we go with that.

Perhaps we could have the first visit to Pollock Park? The Burrell collection is also there for anyone wanting a bit of culture after the walk. (or if it rains!)

Mhairi

David W.
user 19213401
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 31
I bought the ebook already and started to reading :-s

It was £6 from Scamazon.

David
Signe
user 11114231
Glasgow, GB
Post #: 62
I would love to join you all but one expensive book this month is my limit so will have to give this one a miss I'm afraid. But great idea!!! And hope to join you next monthbiggrin