addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Julio O.
user 7310802
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
Hello Group

Today I brought up the possibility of reading some classics, or foundational works that underpin cognitive science. I mentioned William James. Here is one way to dip into William James: Read his abbreviated textbook of psychology, namely Psychology: The Briefer Course. Now, looking around for editions of William James, I found some that collected essays as well. Since he is a valuable guide to the philosophy of pragmatism, not just psychology, maybe it would be better to read not just his psychology, but some collection that includes his philosophical essays.

After we met I started to go a bit nuts with the idea of reading the classics that underpin today's cognitive science....In future meetings, I might be making a case that we read works such as...

Chance and Necessity, by Jacques Monod : The uncle of The Selfish Gene, as I see it)

The Origin of Species , by Charles Darwin : The granddaddy of all biological sciences today.

On the Nature of Things, by Lucretius : The ancient ancestor of our scientific mindset, period.

See you all next time

Julio

Deborah B.
MsAnalytical
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 10
Psychology: The Briefer Course by William James would also be great - easy to break up into 3 or 4 chapters at a time.