Cognitive Science Reading & Discussion Group Message Board › Texas GOP + Teaching of Critical Thinking

Texas GOP + Teaching of Critical Thinking

Richard
MrRedwood
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 33
I just stumbled on this article about the Texas GOP platform on education (from last July).

The most disconcerting plank is:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

(Further down in the list, I thought there was a bit of a contradiction between the "Classroom Discipline" and "Juvenile Daytime Curfew" planks, although if one doesn't believe in Higher Order Thinking Skills, I suppose contradictions aren't really problematic.

The other item of interest is the reference to University of Virginia cognitive scientist Daniel Willingham's argument that it Critical Thinking cannot be taught. I haven't read his paper yet, but I thought it was worth looking into.
--
Richard
Richard
MrRedwood
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 34
[BTW, if anyone who is planning on being there this Sunday has a Kindle (esp. the Paperwhite?), can you show me/us how an academic PDF looks on it? Or, for that matter, how things that have been sent to the Kindle via readability.com's "Send to Kindle" option look? -- thanks.]