lorena
user 12283201
El Sobrante, CA
Post #: 10
under evolutionary psychology I suggest Quiet by Susan Cain. under cognitive science I suggest The Social Conquest of Earth by Edward O. Wilson. under neuroscience I have two suggestions The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine and Molecules of Emotion by Candice B. Pert
Richard
MrRedwood
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 37
under evolutionary psychology I suggest Quiet by Susan Cain. under cognitive science I suggest The Social Conquest of Earth by Edward O. Wilson. under neuroscience I have two suggestions The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine and Molecules of Emotion by Candice B. Pert
These look good, although I'd note that Molecules of Emotion is from 1997, and I'm pretty sure interesting stuff has been uncovered in the past sixteen years.

And the reviews I've seen of The Female Brain are very uneven. At first I suspected that the negative ones are confusing empirical findings with normative prescriptivism, but a Goodreads review of Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference indicates the drubbing is more nuanced.

I'd lean towards Quiet, if only because the SFPL has 84 copies :-)
Peter
user 5618101
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 190
I don't know about the other books, but I have read Cain's Quiet. It does not belong under evolutionary psychology, but more importantly, I found it disappointing and would not recommend it for our group. The author has very little understanding of science or social science.
lorena
user 12283201
El Sobrante, CA
Post #: 11
My library categorized it as evolutionary psychology but I (in retrospect) agree with you that it is not. It kind of felt to me like the author (as a quiet person, herself) was singing the praises of the quiet person rather than writing a scientific book, however it did cause me to see some things in a different light and I found it useful for that reason. I do like to learn about various perspectives. I would still recommend it. Thank you for your reply.
lorena
user 12283201
El Sobrante, CA
Post #: 12
Richard, I think the book you suggested sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion.
Rachel W.
user 54674072
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
Hi there. I haven't attended this meetup yet, so just keep that in mind. My vote out of the five above is for The Social Conquest of Earth, secondly Quiet. I agree with Richard that the book should be more recent than 1997 (not Molecules of Emotion). I read the Female Brain as a teenager when it first came out and wouldn't mind looking at it with a more informed perspective, but I would prefer Delusions of Gender.
lorena
user 12283201
El Sobrante, CA
Post #: 13
I have another suggestion which is The Universe Within written by Neil Shubin who is author of Your Inner Fish which was chosen by the National Academy of Sciences as the best book of the year in 2009. Shubin was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2011.
Rachel W.
user 54674072
Oakland, CA
Post #: 2
On the sociopath note, I've had The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success saved for later for awhile. Has anyone read it?...The Universe Within looks really interesting.
lorena
user 12283201
El Sobrante, CA
Post #: 14
I have never read The Wisdom of Psychopaths but I just now started Confessions of a Sociopath. I've already learned a lot. I find the subject fascinating since I believe that some of the people I know are sociopaths.